Thread: What is CyberLibel

What is CyberLibel

hello friends,

What do you mean by the term called cyberlibel in the internet world ? Is anybody aware about this ? Please some of you give the necesssary suggestions and ideas regarding the same......thank you

Re: What is CyberLibel

Cyberlibel is a term that is related to the defamation that takes place over the Internet, either on messageboards, email, blogs, chatrooms, personal websites, or other published articles.

Defamation actually means that someone has communicated a false and damaging statement to a third party that causes harm to the defamed person's reputation.

Cyberlibel mostly occurs over cyberspace, hence it raises legal issues of free speech, public figures, opportunities to refute the statements, and anonymity that may warrant new laws and regulation.

Cyberlibel is nothing but a defamation that occurs in cyberspace, meaning through the Internet. The defamation includes false and damaging statements made about another person through e-mail, message boards, blogs, chatrooms, on Web sites, or any other Internet-based communication medium.....

Cyberlibel highly affects the reputation of the defamed person(a person on which unnecessary false statements have been imposed) since it effectively takes place over the internet and many people accesses websites on the internet.....

I'm not sure this is the appropriate place to ask this question...but I can't find much on the internet about charging a person or people with Cyberlibel.
    Any information would be greatly appreciated.

I am a small hobby breeder of dogs.
    I have enjoyed a very good reputation for many years.
    Recently I have started showing my dogs and this has brought me under the microscope of my competition.

All of a sudden lies have been posted on a very public message board about me. Basically a smear campaign. Truths are also being told but being twisted and distorted (taken out of context) in such a way to put me in a bad light.

I have posted to defend myself but then my responses just get twisted as well. (For example if I respond then I’m being defensive about someone’s “opinion”…if I don’t respond then they must be right about me. )

I don’t have the time to keep defending myself against the negative postings that these individuals have, to keep up their smear campaign and unfortunately people believe what they read on a message board rather than the truth and facts.

The consequences of their actions could greatly effect my reputation and the success of my hobby. Is there any consequence for them or can anyone (i.e. board administrator) not be held accountable for lies being told or innuendos being posted ?

My reputation is all I have and I worked decades to build it and now it is all being destroyed by people with an agenda and time on their hands.