Thread: Firefox slows down, file association and default browser problem

Firefox slows down, file association and default browser problem

Recently I have purchased new HP laptop, from starting only it has some issues but now It has major problem with its Firefox browser I have with it, aside from it being full of junk and really slow, so many times I have tried reinstallation of firebox but it remains slow I think it wont associate file types which requires to set the default browser.

Re: Firefox slows down, file association and default browser problem

With XP you can associate and unassociated file types to a program or application, from the Control Panel or by selecting: Tools \ Folder Options on the menu of a folder. From Control Panel, open Add/Remove Programs applet, and choose Set Program Access and Defaults button. [ Alternately, click Start, Run and type control appwiz.cpl,3 ]

Basically if these keys exist the values you're looking for are the ones with the browser executable listed in them. If another browser has been set as the default browser, including Internet Explorer 7, Firefox 3, or Opera 9, you may be unable to reset SeaMonkey as the default. If opera is defined as your default browser any url you'll open will automatically pop opera up. Firefox 2: "Tools -> Options -> Main / System Defaults -> (checkmark) Always check to see if Firefox is the default browser on startup -> Check Now"

You can set the default browser in Windows 2000 (SP3+) Windows XP (SP1+) and Windows Vista using the "Set Program Access and Defaults" feature. I see that safari does this but nothing else. I'm not sure that I'd like my browser to steal all my file associations away from the default applications.