Thread: Stop IE8 prompt "Download Windows Search to improve..."

Stop IE8 prompt "Download Windows Search to improve..."

I am using Windows server 2008 and beside Firefox, also i use Internet Explorer 8 when i use to visit any Microsoft's site or my financial websites. IE8 is no doubt has interesting features but the one thing that i really want to get rid off is the prompt message saying,"Download Windows Search to improve history and favorites results." Its the only annoying part for me when i type any thing in the address bar. Is there any way i can stop this message ? Please let me know too.Thanks in advance.

Re: Stop IE8 prompt "Download Windows Search to improve..."

Windows Search provides an easy and comprehensive solution for finding and organizing the content you care about, whether it's on your PC, in an e-mail message or attachment, on a remote file share, or on the Web. And IE 8 prompts you for the said message when Windows Search is not installed on you system or it is not enabled. But normally as per me, In windows server 2008 it comes installed but it is not enable. So you need to enable Windows Search to get rid of this message. To do so, just go through this steps:-
    • Under File Services, expand Role Services.
    • Click Add Role Services.
    • On the Select Role Services screen, select Windows Search Service, and then click Next.
    • If you want to index drives, select the drives that you want to index, and then click Next.
    • Click Install.

Windows Search is designed to protect your sensitive data and personal information while helping you to find exactly what you need from your e-mail messages, files on your PC, shared resources, intranet shares, or the Web. But in anyways, if you don't require it you can also remove it with some registry changes. To do so, follow this steps:-

• First of all do a system restore every time before you enter registry.

• Now open command prompt and paste this code and press Enter:-

Code:
      REG ADD "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows Search" /v CurrentVersion /t REG_SZ
      /d 99 /f
    • Restart the machine if possible and try using IE 8. Hope the message won't appears.

You just need to enable it on your system to stop the IE8 prompt. Windows Search works as fast as you can type to give you instant results from any search box in Windows Vista or Windows XP. The Windows Search index is close to the file system, so it knows when you change a file and processes updates whenever CPU resources are free, keeping your index up-to-date without interrupting your normal activities. To enable windows search on your operating system,in the case File Services role is not listed in the Roles Summary section, follow these steps:
    1. Click Add Roles.
    2. Select File Services, and then click Next.
    3. Click Next as needed to reach the Select Server Roles screen.
    4. In the list of available Role Services, select Windows Search Service.
    5. Click Install.