Thread: Why does IE8 restrict active content ?

Why does IE8 restrict active content ?

I need some urgent help from you all guys. I am a Vista user since long time but i downloaded Internet Explorer just 2 days back. Previously i was using IE6 that has never created any problem for me in browsing. But i don't know why, when i am trying to visit some sites that i normally keep visiting before, IE8 gives me error saying they contain active content that could access your computer and just block it automatically. What is active content and why are they blocked by IE8? Please help

Re: Why does IE8 restrict active content ?

Basically active content refers to content on a Web site that is either interactive. is interactive or animated content used on websites. It includes ActiveX controls and web browser add-ons, which are small programs that are used extensively on the Internet. Active content can make web browsing more enjoyable by providing toolbars, stock tickers, video, animated content, and more.To modify the safety level for active content, follow these steps:
    • On the Tools menu, click Internet Options, and then click the Security tab.
    • In the Select a Web content zone to specify its security settings box, select a zone.
    • In the Security level for this zone box, move the slider to setting you prefer, or click Custom Level to customize your settings.
    • Click OK until you return to Internet Explorer.

While most active content contained in Web pages is safe, some Web pages contain active content that can potentially cause security problems on your computer. Internet Explorer restricts this Active content because occasionally these programs can malfunction or give you content you don't want. In some cases, these programs can be used to collect information about you, damage information on your computer, install software without your consent, or allow someone else to control your computer remotely. Given these risks, you should only allow active content if you completely trust the publisher or the website it's coming from.

ActiveX control that runs automatically when you load a particular Web page might damage your data or cause your computer to become infected with a virus. Internet Explorer uses safety levels for active content to help prevent this situation from occurring.If Internet Explorer restricts active content that you are sure you want to allow, click the Information bar, and then click Allow blocked content.Configure Internet Explorer so that it does not automatically use items that show active content, such as vertical marquees or animations.