Thread: How to read Yahoo chat history

How to read Yahoo chat history

I want to know how can we read the yahoo chat history? what application do i need for this? Searched the web but nothing found. any ideas?

Re: How to read Yahoo chat history

Can you elaborate what you wanna do excatly? normally in yahoo messenger if you have enabled the option to save your chats then it stores chat on your local HD and you can view those past chat with your yahoo messenger. If you have enable the option to save chats you'll see te following message on each of your chat window:
    Instant messages are being archived on this computer.
    View Full Archive (Alt+Shift+V) Archiving Preferences (Ctrl+Shift+P)
    Press (Alt+Shift+V) and see all chat histroy.

Look at: C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Messenger\profiles\name\Archive, where name is replaced by the screen name you're using. Remember that Yahoo's archiving needs to be turned on (it's off by default). To enable it Go to messenger -> preferences -> archives, enable this feature, click ok. To save future messages, mark "yes, save all of my messages", click "apply" and "ok".

Quote Originally Posted by Spyrus View Post
    Look at: C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Messenger\profiles\name\Archive, where name is replaced by the screen name you're using. Remember that Yahoo's archiving needs to be turned on (it's off by default). To enable it Go to messenger -> preferences -> archives, enable this feature, click ok. To save future messages, mark "yes, save all of my messages", click "apply" and "ok".
    Thanks guys for helping. I have some more doubts any way that we can read those archives without opening yahoo messenger? they are in DAT format. Any editor that can make it possible?

Quote Originally Posted by go raiden View Post
    Thanks guys for helping. I have some more doubts any way that we can read those archives without opening yahoo messenger? they are in DAT format. Any editor that can make it possible?
    There is application named as Yahoo Messenger Archive Reader , lets you open your messenger .dat files without entering your YIM account. You can then save the Yahoo messenger archive you are currently viewing as a richtext file or as a web page. Click here to download Yahoo Messenger Archive Reader. Note: I haven't used it yet myself, but from what I read so far, people seem to like it.