Thread: Does anyone knows about QAM

Does anyone knows about QAM

Hi,
    I have my own HTPC system at my home. I had build it some months before. Now while configuring the system by a technician I came around a term called QAM. What does it means actually. I think it is a kind of some technical terms for broadcast signal of digital channels. What is the hardware support for this term. And does my HTPC had QAM also. Thanks in advance.

Re: Does anyone knows about QAM

QAM stands for Quadrature amplitude modulation. This term means that a mixture of Digital and Analog signal on your TV set. It is kind of TV signal scheme which is used for sending channels on the cable. By the bandwidth is much more higher as compare to normal. Now the cable companies does not provide a high bandwidth they send only some limited but HDTV need more for greater and better picture quality. For this purpose QAM is used. It is high definition channel signal. The signal is received by and unencrypted by the HDTV with the help of some tuners. Many few companies provide QAM so intead of it they use the Set top box.

QAM is type of broadcasting signal which has both Digital and Analog type in it which gives much better high definition quality. QAM needs some different type of hardware that can be either a modem or tuner card that encodes digital information which sent via RF interface. 64QAM and 256QAM is most common and used in many cable and digital tv. You would also have probably using the same one. This technology offers more channels, more quality, foreign channels, etc.

So you can now can get a overview of the QAM type signal by reading the above post. It is practically a Cable TV signal. It the most common method used by cable tv companies to broadcast high definition channels. All QAM have different types of properties. Like the QAM64 and QAM256 both varies in capacity. Today's maximum card supports the QAM signal. Mainly the HDTV TV Tuner cards.