Thread: Who does Pingomatic ping

Who does Pingomatic ping

While surfing today on internet i found some words like Ping-O-matic. I found its website also and noticed in the footer that the servers the site runs on were donated by Automattic. Now it is very confusing word for me. I just wanted to know what is Ping-O-matic and who does Pingomatic ping ? Thanks in advance.

Re: Who does Pingomatic ping

As soon as your blog content updates, you may want to ping some services, Ping-O-Matic is a service to update different search engines that your blog has updated.You can let it know about your updates using ordinary GET request, or using RPC call. It is a way to ping a bunch of services all at one time. Wordpress.org software uses have this automatically, if they want.

Pingomatic does a lot more pings due to XML-RPC, and while Alexa is far from a reliable source, it is astounding (to me) that Pingoat is neck-to-neck with Pingomatic.Make sure to only ping specialized services if they're relevant to your blog, otherwise you'll cause an undue burden on them.

Though Wordpress chooses Pingomatic by default, but there are many such free one click pinging tools.The RPC call is just an HTTP request with some details in xml format. Python has a great XML-RPC client library xmlrpclib which makes work with RPC simple and pleasant. Mostly bloggers go the Pingomatic ping to update their services. By default this service is prefilled with Pingomatic pinging service, which is pinged when you create or update a post.

The Ping-O-Matic plugin pings from where your ping gets relayed to a set of most common ping services.If you do not want the update services to be pinged, remove all the update service URIs listed under “Update Services” on the Options->Writing admininstration screen of your WordPress installation.