Thread: How to use Gmail for hosting a Domain Name

How to use Gmail for hosting a Domain Name

Hi friends...

I want to host a domain name for my website. One of my friends suggested me to host a domain name using Gmail. I want to ask whether is it possible to host a domain name using Gmail.

Can anybody please provide me the information how to use Gmail for hosting a domain name ?

Re: How to use Gmail for hosting a Domain Name

Alright follow the steps below for hosting a domain name using Gmail application :-

• First, click on the Gmail application link.

• Select administrator and enter your domain name.

• As asked, enter your personal information and any organization information you may have.

• A screen will appear where you will setup your first mailbox for your administrator. Enter your preferred user name and password.

• After creating the admin account, you are taken to your domain dashboard. This is the main control panel where the administrator can add new users. You can add more users now, but before anyone can use their new email, you must verify ownership of your domain name, and update your MX records.

• There are a several methods for verifying your domain. When you click on "verify domain" you will see two options to add -
      (i) a CNAME
      (ii) upload html.
      (iii) A third option also exists which is not listed and that is to update your MX records. We will use this method since we need to update MX records anyway.

• For making necessary DNS changes, you need to login to your domain name registrant account. Select the option to manage your domain name and then go to the DNS management option. If you have any MX records listed for your domain, remove them and add those provided by gmail as listed here:
      • MX Server address Priority
      • ASPMX.L.GOOGLE.COM. 10
      • ALT1.ASPMX.L.GOOGLE.COM. 20
      • ALT2.ASPMX.L.GOOGLE.COM. 20
      • ASPMX2.GOOGLEMAIL.COM. 30
      • ASPMX3.GOOGLEMAIL.COM. 30
      • ASPMX4.GOOGLEMAIL.COM. 30
      • ASPMX5.GOOGLEMAIL.COM. 30

Now, BE PATIENT and WAIT because it can take upto 48 hours for dns changes to update.

• Once your changes have updated and been verified, you will notice that the email section of your dashboard now says active rather than pending. When your email is active, you are ready to send and receive email with your personal domain name.

A free Gmail account allows you to use your own domain name. Hosting a domain name using Gmail is very helpful.

Actually, my cheapo 123-reg hosting did not have an SMTP server. But this overcomes the problem and I can implement almost all the functionality of Gmail.

Now Google can scan all my web searches, e-mails, the visitor activity on my website, etc..

I am using Gmail as my main email address to Google Apps for about a year now. Here's what I have to say --

- Every user should have their own domain name and tie it to their email address.

- Google Apps (free or paid) offer a US$10 domain name registration service, set up for use with Gmail.

- Gmail is an excellent email service.

magichost Guest

No doubt that Google Apps is the best service,

for using Google Apps Access to DNS is must, make sure that you have control panel access and DNS to integrate Google Apps Email Service

I Hope this helps