Thread: GPO for temporary internet files size

GPO for temporary internet files size

I''m running Windows Xp as my operating system. I would like to know that is it possible to limit size of temp. internet files through group policy on win2000 server? Is it possible for me to do so? Kindly provide me the correct solution for the above issue.

Re: GPO for temporary internet files size

As far as policy processing is concerned the Default Domain Policy can be overridden by policies applied to child OUs unless the "Enforced" option is set this one was previously known as "No Override" (in Windows 2000 Domains). The built-in GPO settings do not provide a method for controlling the size of the "Temporary Internet Files", hence the users (if no restriction on the user profile size exist) can quickly fill up the disk space on their computers.

The problem becomes more serious with Terminal Services - user profiles start growing and chewing up the disk space on the server. Internet Explorer Security is an utility that customizes many aspects of the Internet Explorer Web browser. It's a snap to use and provides the tools you need to retain and manage your Web browser settings.

You must have the Group Policy set to Preference mode to customize Internet Explorer. To do this:

1. Open the Group Policy Editor by using Microsoft Management Console (MMC).
    2. Locate and click Internet Explorer Maintenance under Windows Settings in User Configuration.
    3. Right-click Internet Explorer Maintenance, and then click Preference Mode.

If a policy is already defined, you must click Reset Browser Settings before you can place this policy in Preference mode. When you reset the browser settings, any policy settings that are specified to that Group Policy are reset.

Note :- Preference mode settings are set by an administrator, however, you can change the settings after the policy is applied (for example, your home page or settings on the Advanced tab). After the policy is applied to a client computer, you can change your home page and advanced settings.