Thread: Concept of Memory Hog in FireFox

Concept of Memory Hog in FireFox

hello,

I am using Mozilla FireFox as my internet web browser. Recently, I have heard about some memory hog in Firefox. I am unaware of this. Can anybody please explain me the concept of Memory hog in Firefox ?

Re: Concept of Memory Hog in FireFox

Ideally FireFox consumes just the memory of 80 MB with around 8 tabs. But if a user starts up Firefox, and it consumes like more than 200 MB of memory…with just one window open, it means FireFox is facing memory hogging.

To solve Memory Hogging in Firefox, one of the ways is to check - “Remember visited pages”. If it is set to a higher value say, 999 days, it means Firefox is possibly trying to store 999 days of the browsing history in memory, but is couldn't....hence it is facing memory hogging.

One has to set “Remember visited pages” to a lower value, say 30 days, and memory usage would be down to 50mb... r

I don't think Firefox is still a memory hog. I am using FireFox 3 and it runs smoothly on my system (with 512MB RAM) with over 20 extensions installed.

There are some websites causing "memory leak" but I have rarely come across any. With 12-15 tabs open, my FireFox 3 memory usage is around 180-200 MB atmost, and I haven't faced any crash or anything unusual happening....

FireFox is the world’s most-popular open source web browser. Firefox 3 consists of certain memory-hogging features that are responsible for gargantuan memory footprint. Now, Firefox implements an SQL engine to keep a track of your history and bookmarks, amongst other things. While that particular feature is powered by SQL-lite, which shouldn't consume too much memory. It is still unexplain what else is wasting memory left, right, and center in FireFox.