Thread: How to Hook Up a Cable Modem & Router

How to Hook Up a Cable Modem & Router

How to Hook Up a Cable Modem & Router. I have a emachines, windows xp home edition computer that is hooked into a cable modem.I cannot connect to the internet from either the laptop or the desktop computer wired directly to the router with an Ethernet cable. One of the computer that is a dial-up. I just want to know how to connect/set-up an internal modem to a router so that I will not use Internet Connection Sharing (ICS) of Windows XP because I heard that it is faster to surf the web using router rather than ICS.

Re: How to Hook Up a Cable Modem & Router

Apparently you already have a NIC, [network interface controller], in this unit - as that is what is connected to the cable modem, You hook it up to your network interface card (that's the bigger looking telephone jack, RJ45). You hook the other side up to either a DSL moden or a cable modem.You'll need to get with your new ISP for exact configs, but usually the default settings are for DHCP.

When connecting a cable modem and a router, a category five cable will be needed to plug into the router, which will allow the user to plug their computer into the router. If you are unsure of your settings you will have to unhook the router and connect in the original way you had, then write down all your settings or save them to the local box so you can manually install them once you have your router hooked back up.

Specifically you are looking for your gateway settings....an ipconfig /all should give you everything you need......

If all you want to do is network your computers together to share files then no you dont need a broadband modem. If you want to share internet then not only do you need a broadband modem you also need to subscribe to the internet. You need to call your phone company for DSL Internet or your cable company for cable internet and they will supply you with a broadband modem.