Thread: How Sleep command work on Batch file in Windows

How Sleep command work on Batch file in Windows

When writing a batch file to automate something on a Windows box, I've needed to pause its execution for several seconds and for that i have decided to keep those file on Sleep mode, how it will work under Sleep Mode please let me know.

Re: How Sleep command work on Batch file in Windows

Most operating systems provide a command in batch files to sleep, or wait, a certain number of seconds. This is great in that batch files can display text, allowing you time to read before continuing. If you have Python installed, or don't mind installing it (it has other uses too) , just create the following sleep.py script and add it somewhere in your PATH:

import time, sys

time.sleep(float(sys.argv[1]))

In XP, you can edit it in:

My Computer → Properties (menu) → Advanced (tab) → Environment Variables (button) → System variables (frame)

Sleep.bat is a Windows batch program that pauses your batch file for temporary before continuing. Sleep.exe is included in most DOS resource kits. If that is the case, that's the best idea. If you don't have it, it's easily found on the Internet (I added it to my Windows XP). I assume of course that you can add executable to your box. The easiest solution in Windows XP / 2003 environment is to install Windows Server 2003 Resource Kit Tools. This tool kit will install the Sleep.exe program into your machine, which you can use as

SLEEP n

to sleep for N sec. If you want to sleep for just a few milliseconds u can use this command as

SLEEP –M n

The Resource Kit has always included this. At least since Windows 2000. Sleep.bat uses the "ping.exe" program to emulate the sleep function. The "ping.exe" program is distributed with most versions of Windows operating system.

Sleep.bat takes advantage of the SetNumberOfArguments.bat (GPL) script that is available on this web site. So to use Sleep.bat, you'll have to download SetNumberOfArguments.bat, if you don't already have it.