Thread: How to lock history clearing feature in Internet Explorer

How to lock history clearing feature in Internet Explorer

In my office, computers are shared by number of people. Whenever I try to check which websites have been accessed through the History feature, I find that the history has been cleared which means someone clears the entire history list. I am using Internet Explorer and want to lock the history clearing feature in my internet explorer. How can I do this ?

please suggest the neccessary ideas....

Re: How to lock history clearing feature in Internet Explorer

With a simple registry hack, you can disable the “Clear History” button in Internet Explorer. Follow the instruction below ---

1. Open Registry Editor
      • Click Start
      • Select Run
      • Type regedit
      • Press Enter

2. Navigate to the following key :
      HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Control Panel
      Note - if it doesn’t exist, then create it.

3. To lock the “Clear History” button, you have to modify the DWORD value called “History” (without quotes).
      If the value “History” doesn't already exist, right-click in the right section of the window and select New > DWORD Value > name it “History”.

4. Now since the value of “History” is ready, double-click on it to change its value data from 0 to 1 and click OK. With this, the “Clear History” button in Internet Explorer gets disabled (it turns gray).

You can start Internet Explorer to view the changes. If Internet Explorer is already open, you might need to restart your computer to view the changes.

Easy CD Creator 4 is a tool that prevents the user from successfully deleting history via the 'Clear History' function of Internet Explorer.

cause - The problem is due to the I.E. functions the program uses keeping the I.E. History file open.

workaround - The problem can be eliminated by eliminating the TrayIcon. You can easily eliminate TryIcon using Adaptec -
    (i) right-click the TrayIcon
    (ii) choose "Disable Create CD". This only removes the TrayIcon.

You then need to reply "Yes" to the message that follows.

You might try - Folder Vault

It is a file security program allowing the user to hide, lock, encrypt and password protect files & folders, Recycle Bin, clean Internet Explorer History, clear Address Bar History, erase Internet Explorer Temporary, etc....

The program's interface displays the major functions. A simple button opens up an Advanced Settings tabbed interface. The program easy to use. You just need to drag and drop files and folders to your vault.

Folder Locking Vault allows you to run the program without anyone seeing its footprint. If a hacker tries to open the program, you can easily set it to lock or shut down your system.

Quote Originally Posted by deveritt View Post
    With a simple registry hack, you can disable the “Clear History” button in Internet Explorer. Follow the instruction below ---
    [snip]
    You should be aware that users can easily bypass this by simply pointing Windows Explorer at C:\Documents and Settings\<username>\Local Settings\History and deleting whatever they don't want stored in the history.

Disabling a GUI button and preventing the user from modifying data are two entirely different things.