Thread: Unable to access my site but everyone else can

Unable to access my site but everyone else can

As the title explains I am unable to access my site while everyone else are able to. I have set up wampserver on a virtual PC. I then opened port 80 on my router and set up a free subdomain. when form the cybercafe i access my own site then I am able to see my site, I have asked a few friends to visit the address and they have no problem loading the site, but I don't know what is the problem but I can't access it from my own PC.

Re: Unable to access my site but everyone else can

You yourself need to think about what happens when you try to use the server's WAN address or domain name from inside your own network. The request for the WAN address is sent to your router, because it is not within your LAN's subnet range. Then the router can't do anything with that request, because it has already been routed "outgoing" to the Web. It is probably a problem with your host's DNS cache. I'm assuming when you try to ping your site you are pinging the domain name and not the IP? Does it work consistantly if you just try to ping the IP? If so that would be further reason to suspect your ISP. There is no other 'agent' to 'turn the request around' and route it back to your router so that it can be port-forwarded back to your server inside your LAN.

Your browser looks to your hosts file first for resolution and then to your ISP. Two solutions that come to mind are to use your 'hosts' files to define yourdomain.com and yourdomain.com as 127.0.0.1 on the server itself, and as the server's LAN IP address on the other PCs inside your LAN. The other solution is to use a proxy out on the Web; It will 'turn around' your requests and send them back to your router using the public DNS system. If that does the trick for you, I would definitely have a talk with your ISP about it.

I think it might be from your firewall or router. Your site might be banned accidentally. While you headed you can add your domain as trusted site to your firewall and browser as well. go to Control Panel -> network connections -> right click the lan connection and click properties, In the general tab double click on "Internet Protocol (TCP/IP)" from the list. re-enter the details as necessary.