Thread: Cannot ping my home computer via router from outside my network

Cannot ping my home computer via router from outside my network

I have a problem with my computer. I have a broadband internet and i can ping my office computer from home computer [via internet]. But i cannot ping my home computer via router from outside my network [my office computer]. What may be the problem? I have a wireless router which provides internet to my laptop and three desktop computers. What may be the problem? Can anyone help me? Well i am pinging the right address that is the internet address and not the internal ip that is 192.168.1.3.

Re: Cannot ping my home computer via router from outside my network

It is because of the router. Router disables maximum incoming connections along with ICMP packets which are responsible for ping activities. Access the router from home computer and check if there is an option for 'Allow incoming ICMP packets' or 'Allow Ping' This may fix your problem. All the best! Also when the router is used to supply the internet, the router gets the internet IP and all the computers will show the same internet IP Address. So make sure you know what you are doing...

Hey, thanks mate, i have a pronet PN-108M router and i found the option 'allow ping' it enabled by default, may be i enabled it when i configured the router for the first time. So the problem is something else... Any other suggestions? Thanks in advance.

There is actually no problem, Its just a minor configuration you need to do. Access he router and go to port forward option. There forward the ports for the internal ip address that you will be pinging from the internet. Ports must be forwarded for the services that you need to use like : for Telnet port 23, for Web server port 80, for playing Counter-Strike port 27000 to port 27020. Similarly do for all the service you need to access from the computer at your office. Just make sure which service has which ports also the type of port : TCP or UDP.