Thread: CHKDSK.exe slows down the computer

CHKDSK.exe slows down the computer

Hello,

I have a very strange problem related to CHKDSK.exe, before some period of time i was infected by the viruses, I quarantine the viruses with the help of Anti-viruses, but from that time i found that my system gets very slow, and to resolve that issue i check the whole system and cut off the unwanted services but i realised that CHKDSK.exe consumes very high resources compare to other, i closed that whithout knowing anything but still the computer does not run as it should be.

please suggest what to do?

Re: CHKDSK.exe slows down the computer

I will suggest you an option to go for Disk Defragmenter which will be much more helpful to recover your system from the early stage.follow the steps:

To set up Check Disk to run automatically:
    1. On the Start menu, click Control Panel.
    2. In Control Panel, double-click Scheduled Tasks.
    3. Double-click Add Scheduled Task. The Scheduled Task Wizard appears. Click Next.
    4. Check Disk isn't available within the scroll-down list. You'll need to select it manually. Click Browse. Then, navigate to windows\system32\chkdsk.exe. Select chkdsk.exe and click Open
    5. The Scheduled Task Wizard prompts you to define the frequency for chkdsk.exe to run. Select Weekly and click Next.
    6. You're then asked to select the time and day you wish this task to start. Select a time you won't likely be using your computer. Make sure this start time differs from your other scheduled tasks. Avoid having your tasks start at the same time.
    7. Enter your user name and password (the one you use when you need to log on to your computer). Disk Fragmenter will run as if you started it. Click Next.
    8. A wizard page appears, stating that you've successfully scheduled Check Disk to run on the time frame you've defined. Click Finish to have Windows automate this task.

Re: CHKDSK.exe slows down the computer

You may also try for the clean Installation of your PC. As a last resort, do a Clean Install of Vista. This will help you to reformat your hard drive and lay down a nice, clean Windows Vista so you can start over from the beginning. This will remove all the problem on your system at that time it won't consider any of the services which might be responsible to slow down your computer, it will straight way remove that, and make your system very clean. But before doing that be sure to Backup your Non-OS files and folders to another hard drive or other media so you can restore them to your C drive after the Clean Install. You will also have to reinstall your other programs, applications and devices.