Thread: net isn't working, please help

angry net isn't working, please help

I just bought a brand new acer laptop. I was browsing the net for an hour and suddenly the web pages stopped loading (IE and Firefox)... it kept saying the connection had failed. At first I thought it was my internet connection (I'm on BT, DSL, not wirelss) but it still kept me signed into MSN, and MSN was working perfectly.. it was just the web pages that suddenly wouldn't load. The only way to fix this is to restart.. and I don't want to have to do that every 2 hours. It does this on a regular basis; the the webpages will suddenly stop loading after a few hours (both on FF and IE), but msn does work.

I asked my friend and he gave me a site to click which began with https//: rather than http, and it worked. Then he mentioned it was probably a problem with port 80.. whatever that means.

I've also tried the "repair and diagnose" option but that didn't work.

So does anyone have any ideas as to how I could fix this? I'd be VERY grateful.

Re: net isn't working, please help.

I was having very similar problem, I ran a number of spyware programs and the problem was fixed. For the record I ran 'Spybot-Search and Destroy', 'Adaware SE personal' and Microsoft's antispyware (all free). That fixed the problem. I also ran CrapCleaner for good measure. You should update your antiviruns and run the full scan. Hope this will resolve your issue.

Re: net isn't working, please help.

i wouldn;t think it was spyware because it's literally a brand new laptop though...

i'll give it a go through anyway.. thanks for the advice

Re: New Acer laptop Internet Problem

hello , I Think You Should Try this Goto Start then click on Run then type in cmd and click on Ok. This will bring up the command prompt, here type in netsh winsock reset catalog then after a few seconds it will say that you must restart, type exit, then restart computer and try again.

Hey!
    Have you updated your Windows OS? Might be that is causing problems...! Try to repair the OS and if you have installed any new Software try removing it...! All the best...!

Quote Originally Posted by Marlon View Post
    hello , I Think You Should Try this Goto Start then click on Run then type in cmd and click on Ok. This will bring up the command prompt, here type in netsh winsock reset catalog then after a few seconds it will say that you must restart, type exit, then restart computer and try again.
    it says "the following command could not be found" or something like that..

----
    and i don't think i've updated it? it's a brand new laptop and came with vista basic

Re: net isn't working, please help

Hey!
    Vista is too buggy as everyone knows...! Try to update your Vista. May be there are some critical updates available and that resolves your issue...! Well you can use the computer which you are using to post here to download updates...!

Hello , I Think You need to Run The Command prompt in Administrator try this Hope This Work for You

To repair and reset the Windows Vista
    • Click on Start button.
    • Type Cmd in the Start Search text box.
    • Press Ctrl-Shift-Enter keyboard shortcut to run Command Prompt as Administrator. Allow elevation request.
    • Type netsh winsock reset in the Command Prompt shell, and then press the Enter key.
    • Restart the computer.

Quote Originally Posted by Jackson2 View Post
    Hello , I Think You need to Run The Command prompt in Administrator try this Hope This Work for You

To repair and reset the Windows Vista
    • Click on Start button.
    • Type Cmd in the Start Search text box.
    • Press Ctrl-Shift-Enter keyboard shortcut to run Command Prompt as Administrator. Allow elevation request.
    • Type netsh winsock reset in the Command Prompt shell, and then press the Enter key.
    • Restart the computer.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tohree View Post
    it says "the following command could not be found" or something like that..
    ................... ;P

If the issue persists, please reboot the machine and logon to Safe Mode with Networking to check the result. If the issue occurs in Safe Mode with Networking, we can infer that certain Windows Resource Protection (WRP) file may be missing or corrupted.

To determine whether the issue that you are experiencing is caused by one or more system files that are used by Windows Vista, run the System File Checker tool. The System File Checker tool scans system files and replaces incorrect versions of the system files by using the correct versions.

To run the System File Checker tool, follow these steps:
    1. Click Start, and then type cmd in the Start Search box.

2. Right-click cmd in the Programs list, and then click Run as administrator.

If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type your password or click Continue

3. At the command prompt, type the following line, and then press ENTER:
      sfc /scannow

When the scan is complete, test to see whether the issue that you are experiencing is resolved.

Best of Luck.