Thread: How can I trace email

idea How can I trace email

Hey Guys,

I would like that whether it is possible for me to trace an email. I mean to say that whether we can trace an IP address from which an email has come from? I'm really curious to know about it. Does any body knows about it? Kindly provide me the correct logical information on the above issue. Any kind of information would be appreciated.

Thanks a lot.

Re: How can I trace email

Since email programs do not normally display these Headers, we must first learn how to display them. Depending on the program, this is done in a variety of ways. The following sequence details the way to do this using the Windows default email program, "Outlook Express".
    First, select "Properties" from the "File" Menu, or just press ALT+Enter. Next, select the "Details" tab.

Here's how to view the Headers in the Microsoft Office version of Outlook:

• Open a message.
    • On the View menu, click Options.
    • Note:If you do not see the Options command, make sure you click View on the toolbar in an open message window. The View menu on the standard Outlook toolbar does not have the Options command.
    • The Header information appears under the Delivery options in the Internet Headers box.

Some additional facts in conclusion:

There is a useful Header: 'X-Mailer' that not only specifies the email program of the sender, but allows you to indicate what message was originally sent by the email bot, and whether this Header is currently missing from the message.

The email address of sender can be easily faked. The SMTP (Simple Mail Transfer Protocol) by which email is handled, allows this deception because it doesn't verify all Headers such as the 'From' Header that contains email address of sender.

Yes, it is. Simply Copy and Paste below the email header of the message into the box below on this page to trace an email. This email tracer pinpoints the location of the senders IP address.

Trace Email Sender

This tool attempts to locate the source IP address of an email based on the email headers (Where did the email come from). Just copy and paste the full headers of the email you've received into the box below and press submit. When the page reloads scroll down to the bottom for the email header analysis and results. We're in the process of compiling a set of instructions to obtain email headers from a variety of popular webmail services and email applications.

Tracing an email address: If you do not have an actual email message, but only have an email address, you can trace the address its email server. However it should be noted that email addresses can be easily forged, the results from tracing an email address may not be related to the true sender.

In most cases, using an email tracking tool like eMailTrackerPro to trace an email message you have received is your best option. To trace an email message received by someone else, have them forward the message to you as an attachment (just forwarding the message itself will show them as the sender). You can then open the attached message and copy the email header, start eMailTrackerPro and paste the header for analysis.

Finding the IP address of an email sender in GMail, Yahoo Mail, and Outlook

Let’s go ahead and take a look at how you would do this for Google, Yahoo and Outlook since those are the most popular email clients.

Google’s Gmail

1. Log into your account and open the email in question.

2. Click on the down arrow that’s to the right of the Reply link. Choose Show Original from the list.

Now here’s the technical part that I was telling you about earlier! You need to look for the lines of text that start with “Received: from“. It might be easier to simply press Cntrl + F and perform a search for that phase. You’ll notice that there are several Received From’s in the message header. This is because the message header contains the IP addresses of all of servers involved in routing that email to you.

Yahoo Mail Beta

1. Log into your account and open the email (if you’re using Yahoo Mail Beta with the new preview interface, make sure you double-click on the email so that it opens in a new tab)

2. At the top right, you’ll see there is a drop-down option where Standard Header is selected by default.

3. Click on it and choose Full Header.

Re: How can I trace IP address of an email which is received in hard copy and not in electronic form!

Hi friends,

Can anyone help me with a problem.

someone has created an email account on my ID and is sending threatening mails to my estranged wife. My estraged wife after getting these threatening mails have filed a case against me in lower court.

Now, i have got those emails in hard copy and not in soft copy. I have filed a complaint with the cyber investigation cell.

if anybody can suggest me that would be too good.