Thread: Unable to reconfigure DNS and Debian box

Unable to reconfigure DNS and Debian box

I wanted to take my Blog to the Online and therefore I decided that I will set my router external to DNS IP. So I set DNS server of my ISP but when I did that for some reason I lost the internet connection to my Debain box and i suppose because of what my windows server faced problems.

I tried to reconfiguring my DNS setting but still I am not able to connect to the internet. anybody has any guess what is the problem behind it?

Re: Unable to reconfigure DNS and Debian box

In order to make network configuration easier Debian provides a standard high level network configuration tool consisting of the ifup and ifdown programs and the /etc/network/interfaces file.

If you choose to use ifupdown to do your network configuration then normally you should not use low-level commands too. This means also that you should not use other high level configuration tools such as where AMI, divine, intuitively, etc., that call low level configuration tools. The ifupdown program was written with the intent that it alone be used to configure and deconfigure network interfaces.

To update interface configuration do this:

# ifdown eth0
    # editor /etc/network/interfaces # tweak as you wish
    # ifup eth0

Re: Unable to reconfigure DNS and Debian box

Did you configure the Linux network interface to the Linksys with static IP, proper netmask, and gateway to Linksys LAN IP, and nameserver(s) in/etc/resolv.conf?

You do not necessarily need to uninstall dhcp-client to not use dhcp, you just need to properly configure your nic and DNS for static IP instead of dhcp.

What is router DHCP assigned IP range? What IP/netmask did you assign to eth0, and what route add command did you attempt to use?