Thread: IE8 Information Bar missing

IE8 Information Bar missing

hi,
    I am having the problem information bar doesn't appear, It says that it cannot install the ActiveX and asks me to allow this in the "Internet Explorer Information Bar", but that is not showing.I don't want to leave me system at a low security level, but I also want the option of running ActiveX.Any help will be extremely appreciated.

Re: IE8 Information Bar missing

To bring back the information bar

>open IE->tools->Internet option->Privacu tab->check the box "pop up blocker" then click on the settings->check the "show information bar when pop up is blocked"

Hopefully that will bring back the information bar

In IE 8 Check:

Tools > Internet Options > Security

Select "Internet" and click "Custom Level"

Check all of the ActiveX settings and make sure they are set to prompt.

you can see information about downloads, blocked pop-up windows, potential security risks, and other activities. This information helps you to avoid potentially harmful files you might otherwise accept from the Internet. The Information Bar doesn't clutter up your browser when you don't need it. It only appears when there's information to communicate.

If Internet Explorer default settings are on, you'll see the Information Bar when a Web site tries to:
    •Install an ActiveX control on your computer.
    •Open a pop-up window.
    •Download a file to your computer.

ActiveX controls may not load as expected in Internet Explorer due to defense in depth changes introduced in cumulative security update 896688.

alex.john95 Guest

There might be some issue with the settings of the internet explore 8 which causes you such issues ,
    so to resolve this , open the internet explorer , go to the Tools > internet options > Advance and finally click on the Reset
    this may solve your issue .

The following worked for me.
    IE tools > internet options
    1) I reset the security for the 4 choices to default in each case.
    2) select advanced and reset the options to the default value.
    3) restart IE 8 during which time you will be offered a selection of additional options. Refuse them all. The Information bar came back.
    4) tools > options > advanced > restore the advanced settings.
    Hope it helps

haven tried defaults checking trusted zones what not, the following advice i got from microsoft while taking a little typing worked with flying colors after all else failed. hope this helps:
    -----
    We will address some of the more common causes of this issue. It is important that we attempt to connect to the Windows Update web site after each step to confirm whether the resolution has worked. This will prevent us from having to proceed with additional troubleshooting steps and provide us with valuable feedback to further develop our support resolutions for you and our future customers. Your assistance is greatly appreciated.

NOTE: Some third party programs can also affect the Windows Update service. If you are running any third party applications such as Spyblocker, Internet or web accelerators (programs designed to boost the speed of the Internet connection), security or anti-virus programs (Norton, McAfee, etc.), I recommend we temporarily disable or shut them down and then try accessing the Windows Update site later. Please be sure to re-enable them after completing the update process.

Step 1: Register DLL files

===================

By trying this step, we can check the update engines.

1. Close all instances of Internet Explorer.

2. Click "Start" and "Run", type "REGSVR32 ATL.DLL" (without quotations) in the open box and click "OK".

Note: There is a space between REGSVR32 and ATL.DLL

3. Register the files listed below:

REGSVR32 MSXML3.DLL

REGSVR32 WUAPI.DLL

REGSVR32 WUAUENG.DLL

REGSVR32 WUAUENG1.DLL

REGSVR32 WUPS2.DLL

REGSVR32 WUCLTUI.DLL

REGSVR32 WUPS.DLL

REGSVR32 WUWEB.DLL

REGSVR32 QMGR.DLL

REGSVR32 QMGRPRXY.DLL

REGSVR32 JSCRIPT.DLL

If you are using the Microsoft Update Site, please register the following files as well

REGSVR32 MUCLTUI.DLL

REGSVR32 MUWEB.DLL

Note: Please register all the files. While registering each .DLL file you should get a "succeeded" message. If any error message is encountered , please let me know the exact wording. Some .DLL files are not necessary in some specific operating system, therefore please let me know if some files cannot be found. I will help you to double check it.

Now try Update to see if the issue has been resolved. Please let us know if this step has resolved it. If not, please proceed to the next step.

Step 2: Verify the relevant Windows Update services

========================================

1. Click "Start", click "Run", type "services.msc" (without quotation marks) in the open box and click "OK".
    2. Double click the service "Background Intelligent Transfer Service".
    3. Click on the "General" tab; make sure the "Startup Type" is "Automatic" or "Manual". Then please click the "Start" button under "Service Status" to start the service.

4. Please repeat the above steps with another service:

Automatic Updates

You can also temporarily stop these services, restart the computer, and then start these services again. If one of the two services is missing, please let me know.

Now try Update to see if the issue has been resolved. Please let us know if this step has resolved it. If not, please proceed to the next step.

Step 3: Reload the Windows Update temporary folder

========================================

One possible cause is that Windows Update's temporary folder contains corrupted files. This step will clean its "Download", which contains the Windows Update downloaded update installation files. After renaming this folder, all the files will be automatically recreated, except the Windows Update History data and downloaded updates' installation files. This will have no negative effect on your computer's performance.

1. Click "Start", "Run", type: "cmd" (without quotations) and press "Enter". In the command window, type "net stop WuAuServ" (without quotations) and press "Enter".

2. Click "Start", "Run", type: "%windir%" (without quotations) and press "Enter".

3. Right-click the SoftwareDistribution folder and choose "Rename", type SDOLD as the new name.

4. Click "Start", "Run", type: "cmd" (without quotations) and press "Enter". In the command window, type "net start WuAuServ" (without quotations) and press "Enter".

Note: This folder will be created automatically after starting Automatic Updates service. Only Windows Update history will be lost. To check which update is necessary, I suggest we check updates on update website.