Thread: What is Panoramio

What is Panoramio

Anyone knows about Panoramio? I heard its name from my friend who says that we can add any images to Google Earth using this. Is that true? Is it possible to do so? Can you provide me some details on it? Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Re: What is Panoramio

Panoramio is a website that enables digital photographers to geolocate, store and organize their photographs and to view those photographs in Google Earth and Google Maps.

In fact, it is now possible to add ground level images to Google Earth by using Panoramio. Just upload your pictures and use the map to place them. Once they are reviewed, it will be added to Google Earth for everyone.

Panoramio is a geolocation-oriented photo sharing website. Currently, some of the photos uploaded to the site can be accessed as a layer in Google Earth and Google Maps, with new photos being added at the end of every month. The site's goal is to allow Google Earth users to learn more about a given area by viewing the photos that other users have taken at that place. The website is available in several languages.

I think it's a really good idea as I've often wondered what places look like from the ground when browsing locations. I've uploaded a couple, although they are not yet on the main google earth bit yet - takes about a month to appear apparently.

How to upload a photo?

- Use the link “Upload”.
    - If you are already registered, just select the photos from your hard disk. If not, you will need to sign-up before.
    - Optionally you can use the option “map this photo” and then locate the photo.
    - When you have finished uploading photos, just click on “Finish”.

Note: You can upload as many as you want, but up to 2 GB. That is approximately 3.000 photos taken with 4 megapixels camera.