Thread: What is a Tracing WPPMedia ?

What is a Tracing WPPMedia ?

Hello, on our desktops we found a file TRACING? and inside there were WPPMedia and WindowsLiveMessenger-uccapi-0.uccapilog. I Think is Something Got to do Windows Live Messenger can you tell me if it a cookie or What can i delete it Thank in Advance for you replies

Re: What is a Tracing WPPMedia ?

They are safe,. They are related to your Contacts list... etc... Just debugging stuff for Live Messenger.The tracing files can contain private user information including, but not limited to, the user's contact list, presence and contact information of users, and information about conversations:

• Contact list. The contact list of the user as obtained from the server is logged if logging is enabled. This contains contacts, groups, and distribution groups that are part of a user's contact list.
    • Presence and contact information of users. Presence information (availability and activity) of the user and the user's contacts as well as contact information such as phone number, company, title, and office location are logged if logging is enabled.
    • Conversation information. For any IM, voice, or video conversations/conferences the SIP URIs of the participants are exchanged in the SIP messages. These get recorded when the SIP traffic is logged if logging is enabled. The content of a conversation (such as instant messages and audio/video exchanged) are not logged.

Quote Originally Posted by DAGAN View Post
    Hello, on our desktops we found a file TRACING? and inside there were WPPMedia and WindowsLiveMessenger-uccapi-0.uccapilog. I Think is Something Got to do Windows Live Messenger can you tell me if it a cookie or What can i delete it Thank in Advance for you replies
    Tracing is disabled by default and therefore these three items are not recorded by default. Tracing files are output in the %userprofile%\Tracing directory, which is only accessible to the logged-in user or to users with administrative privilege. On subsequent reruns of the same application using Unified Communications Client API with tracing enabled, tracing files from prior runs are overwritten.

As far as I can tell, no, it shouldn't effect windows messenger in any way (there are no actual files in my tracing folder, either). The problem is if you delete the folder, Messenger simply creates a new one whenever you sign in. It's very poor work by Microsoft (what's new?) to place such a folder in the User profile section.

The best solution, and one which has had no consequences for me, is to make the folder a hidden folder. You can do this by right-clicking it, selecting properties, then near the bottom there is an attributes section and you need to tick the 'Hidden' check box. Click OK, and it doesn't matter whether you apply it to subfolders or not, the important thing is you won't be able to see it in your user section, but it'll still be there if Messenger needs it. This is a pretty useful solution for a lot of 'Junk' folders which may or may not be needed. Out of sight, out of mind.

Finally, to complete my essay, if you need to view the hidden folders/files, go to Tools>Folder Options>'View' Tab and near the top there is the option to 'display hidden files and folders'.

Can WPP Media be used (by someone who has Windows LIve Messenger AND Administrator rights on the pc) to track what the user is doing online, IE: chats, emails, sites visited? Also, how could one tell if the user's conversations, IM's, etc are being logged?

Thanks much!
    Last edited by navy1lf; 25-08-2009 at 04:03 AM. Reason: thought of something else

That is not possible in it. The service if enabled is used for the private use or individual who is currently using the system. It is used to restore his files back. You can cannot trace any users private information by it. The file saved by it contains the personal information of the user who are using a system in a single network. The service just give the overview of usage and other information.

Ok, But is there any way that the contact list can be exploited by say a virus and then proceed to email everyone in that list a link to a virus ladened site?