Thread: Make kids safe when they surf the Internet

Make kids safe when they surf the Internet

Hello,, I am having a PC at my home with internet enabled. I am married and have 2 kids who surf on internet for learning. But as we all know there are many inappropriate materials available on internet, i want to make my kids safe and away from those. Do you all have any idea how can make them safe ?

Re: Make kids safe when they surf the Internet

Yes offcourse, you can make your kids safe from inappropriate materials on internet, for that you must have to be active.There are some things you can do to protect your kids when they surf the Web. But none of these safeguards are a substitute for your active involvement in your children's online experiences.

The appropriateness of any web site depends, in part, on your children. Obviously, some sites aren't designed for kids and contain material that is inappropriate. Other sites might cover an appropriate subject area, but are written at a level that is too advanced or too simple for your child. You and your kid are the best ones to judge a web site's appropriateness.

Well, i'll give some of the tips that parents must follow, like...

1. Use MyKidsBrowser.

It is a web browser that was created with kids in mind.Parents and Grandparents alike can now let their children surf the net without having to worry about them accidentaly accessing an inappropriate website. They can do the dishes, clean the house, or do things that they need to be doing while knowing that their children are on wholesome internet websites. The Kids-Browser leads them to websites that teach them math, reading, and history. Also, there are sites that are full of good, clean games that will keep your children entertained for hours!

2. Make surfing a family activity

Surfing the Web with your child can offer you a window into their interests, concerns, and ways of thinking. Enjoy this opportunity to have some fun together, while explaining to them what is and isn't appropriate for them to do, and why. This is a time of sharing, not of enforcement or patrolling.

3. Discourage downloading

Kids may not understand that downloading software or files (especially media files, such as music or movies obtained through file-sharing services) not only may pose a risk to your computer from viruses or other malware, but also may be illegal. Make sure both you and your children understand the risks of downloading programs, files, and attachments.

4. Use parental control software

Familiarize yourself with parental control software, and check out the control features of your online service or ISP. Some programs can filter out specific web sites, a group of sites, or sites containing inappropriate keywords. AT&T Yahoo! and Verizon Yahoo!, for example, offer parental controls to help you manage your children's Internet access. Many parents find that adding blocking and filtering programs to their regular supervision gives them added peace of mind.

Many search engines, including Yahoo!, include options for filtering out specific content, such as adult sites. If you child uses Yahoo! Search, turn on filtering options for searching the Web.

Keep in mind that nothing is foolproof; new sites are created all the time that may not be caught by filtering programs. Having a filter program is not a substitute for supervising your child's online activities.

5. Use a kid-safe search engine

Several search engines are designed specifically for use by children. You can find a list in the Yahoo! Directory. Yahooligans!, just one of many kid-friendly sites, includes a directory of child-safe sites that you can browse or search.

You can try this .. hope kids will be safe while surfing on net

Another great tool is the Mr Happy Pocketwatch. If parents so choose, they may limit the time that their children use the internet per day. This will allow their children to enjoy the incredible features of the internet, but if they go over the time pre-set by the parent, the broswer will shut down. There will be no arguing or kids saying just one more minute. The browser will shut down and end all discussion. What a life-saver!

Parents should first go to the Parental Access Area and select from many safety features and then choose a password to protect the settings chosen. The children will be able to surf on their own and the parents can relax knowing their children are protected.

Thanks for the help guys... Really nice tips.. I appreciate your help..

unsure Re: Make kids safe when they surf the Internet

Quote Originally Posted by Kraker999 View Post
    Hello,, I am having a PC at my home with internet enabled. I am married and have 2 kids who surf on internet for learning. But as we all know there are many inappropriate materials available on internet, i want to make my kids safe and away from those. Do you all have any idea how can make them safe ?
    The best option in keeping kids safe is to constantly monitor their activities. I have installed a software programme to help safeguard however, there is the chance that they may use a computer at a friends house so being actively involved with their computer interests is a vital point. Kids pass information about websites to each other at school and some are not always appropriate.