Thread: Can't restore single mailbox using Backup Exec 12.5

unsure Can't restore single mailbox using Backup Exec 12.5

Hello Everybody,

I cannot restore the single mailbox using Backup Exec 12.5. Whenever i try to restore i get an error message stating that "the backup resides locally on the server and not on tape". It fails with the following error message that "it cannot restore one or more mailboxes." The database that the mailboxes reside in is dismounted or is not accessible. Ensure that the server is available and that the database is mounted, and then try to run it again. Does any one have any idea about the above issue? Can any body help me out to resolve this issue? Any help on this would be appreciated.

Thanks a lot.

Re: Can't restore single mailbox using Backup Exec 12.5

If the GRT option was selected within the backup job and the it completed successfully then you should be seeing the Granular selection for the IS and should be able to restore individual item.

If the backup is on a tape try duplicating the backup sets on a B2D and check if the restore selection shows you the individual item. If not than call Symantec in order to get your problem solved.

When it restored the .mdb and tlog files, it put them on C:\Temp\sqlrestore on the node hosting the SQL service at the time. I gather that it was then supposed to move the databases or something onto the shared storage, and it failed miserably at this and gave errors related to "you can't do this as it isn't a clustered resource." However, it still mounted the DBs off of the C: drive. Eek I had to detach them, move them to the proper spot, and re-attach, which worked OK. It successfully re-created the IIS sites and settings on the web front-end, which was very nice and saved me a lot of work.

It did NOT restore the SSP correctly, but that wasn't a big deal as we didn't have anything custom in there. I recreated it from scratch and everything is up and running now. I have to finish some remaining config stuff (setup AAMs, e-mail stuff) but the farm is alive and our data is back.

If this backup is to tape, then probably there's something wrong with your Backup Exec service account. Make sure it is properly configured.
    • Exchange Full Administrator all the way down the organizational structure.
    • Domain admin and explicit local admin on the Exchange server (an not only explicit through some group membership)
    • Not hidden from the GAL
    • It has a mailbox associated with at least one email
    • The mailbox name is unique, check by typing the first 5 characters in an Outlook to field. Then use CTRL-K to check the name. This should yield one unique account and not present you with a number of possibilities.

You can also use the deleted items retention feature of Exchange to restore emails, or use the Recovery Storage Group. But GRT may be easier if you get it to work.