Go Back   TechArena Community > Technology > Technology & Internet
Become a Member!
Forgot your username/password?
Tags Active Topics RSS Search Mark Forums Read

Old 21-03-2009

Open Email links with Gmail by default

I use Gmail as the e-mail "program", and I have been able to use this program when I open e-mail links, but not anymore. Now it opens Windows Mail with a blank "mail page", and I do not use windows mail. But the question is how I get it to work and the question is why it has changed!!
Anybody have any suggestions??
Old 21-03-2009

Re: Open Email links with Gmail by default

The Gmail notifier does this. I installed Google Talk sometime ago to take advantage of some feature. I don?t have it running all the time, and I think I might have used it twice before now. But it has a nifty little feature that alters the system setting to allow all mailto links to open in Gmail.
Old 21-03-2009

There?s a new very useful feature in Firefox 3.0.3 that enables you to open mailto: links on web pages in the email program of your choice. To access this option, go to the "Tools" menu, click "Options", select the "Applications" tab and then search for "mailto" in the Content Type column.

Now when you click an email link on a web page, it will directly open a "Compose New Mail" window of Gmail or Yahoo! irrespective of what your default email client is.
Old 21-03-2009

Download the free Google Talk chat application and open the options dialog. You'll see a general setting that says "Open GMail When I click on Email Links" - select that and exit.

This will set Gmail as your default mailto: handler. This means that when you click on any hyperlinked email address, a Gmail compose window will open in your default web browser. The To: address field will be prepopulated with email address.
Old 21-03-2009

Thanks for the reply but there is nothing that works for me. I run Vista Premium, and Google Chrome web browser, but it does not work in IE 8. It is just irritating when Windows Mail opens.

As a matter, i have heard enough of this feature back when I downloaded the Gmail Notifier, but why does it only remains for a while??
Old 21-03-2009

Try to associate on the protocol... Control Panel / Application / Associate a file type or protocol with a program ... scroll down until you find the "mailto" (the protocols are at the bottom), select mailto and click "change program". There, you'll then see if it is possible to switch to Gmail Notifier... or whatever it is! Perhaps it is already associated, or there may not be an appropriate choice? In this case, I would probably try to install the Gmail Notifier!

TechArena Community > Technology > Technology & Internet
Tags: ,