Thread: How to Delete Chat History in Gmail ?

How to Delete Chat History in Gmail ?

Hello , Can you Tell me How can we Delete the Chat history in Gmails , I DO use Yahoo Also but I mostly use Gmail and a Freind told me that our Chat history are Recorded , So can you tell me What do i need to do inorder my Chat History is not Recorded Thanks in Advance for your Replies

Re: How to Delete Chat History in Gmail ?

By default, the chats that you make with your correspondents in Google Gmail are recorded. To not keep history of your discussions, you must modify the settings for email.

1. Go to the Gmail message.

2. Click the Settings link.

3. Open the Chat tab.

4. In the History section of my chats, select Do not save chat history.

5. Finally, click on the Save Changes button. Now, your chat history will not be saved.

Quote Originally Posted by Akshita View Post
    Hello , Can you Tell me How can we Delete the Chat history in Gmails , I DO use Yahoo Also but I mostly use Gmail and a Freind told me that our Chat history are Recorded , So can you tell me What do i need to do inorder my Chat History is not Recorded Thanks in Advance for your Replies
    Hello , you can check this Thread also as you have yahoo messenger and you might need it sometime
    How to Delete Chat History Yahoo Messenger?

Hello , There is Also Another method to do that you do it as follow

• Login to Gmail.
    • On the left side of the screen you will see the Chat menu below Starred menu. I do not mean the chat window.
    • Click the Chat button
    • You will see the list of chat history in this folder and all the chat history is stored in Email format
    • When you open any conversation, you will see the date, time and the name of the person you chat with
    • If you want to delete any chat history, choose the message that you want to delete and click more action
    • Gmail bring bunch of option and choose Delete as seen below
    • The selected chat history will be deleted
    • You can also delete the chat history from the message view as described below
    • On right side of the message you will see Reply and an arrow next to it
    • Click the arrow to get a drop down menu
    • Select Delete this message
    • Selected chat message will be deleted
    • All the deleted chat history is stored in Trash, so do not forget to delete the messages forever from trash folder

Deleting chat is easy but I wonder if any of you guys know how to delete chat history from the small chat window. To explain it better, if you delete a chat and want to start a new chat with the same person you deleted his chat earlier, the window (the small chat box) will open with the text of the previous chat in it!. Is there any way, you can delete this text?

Thank you

Quote Originally Posted by azahrani66 View Post
    To explain it better, if you delete a chat and want to start a new chat with the same person you deleted his chat earlier, the window (the small chat box) will open with the text of the previous chat in it!. Is there any way, you can delete this text?
    Little confusion Are you talking about Chat box directly from the Gmail window or from Gtalk ?? Because, if you chatting from Gtalk and want to clear the chat box, you can simply do it by killing Gtalk process from task manager. Start Gtalk again and you will not see any previous message in this little box.

No this won't workout. Still I didn't get answer for the following question.
    Can anyone help?

Quote Originally Posted by satsatsat View Post
    No this won't workout. Still I didn't get answer for the following question.
    Can anyone help?
    As per the faq of google talk, once a chat is saved in Gmail, it becomes just like a Gmail message. Each line in "Chats" represents an individual chat. You can print, star, apply labels to, and delete chats just as you would for any message in Gmail. To delete, select or open the chat, and choose "Delete" from the "More Actions..." drop-down menu.

Nobody has actually answered the question. Can anybody, somebody, tell me 2 things:
    1. Is it possible to, while logged into your gmail via a computer, delete your chat history? Going to "chat", selecting the message and deleting it does not delete the history in the little box in the right hand corner of the screen. That's what I want to delete. To clarify, I'm not talking about google talk or anything else --I'm taking about the chat feature inside of gmail.

2. If this is in fact possible, how do you do it?