Thread: block an email in Gmail

block an email in Gmail

Hi friends
    Let me ask a little help please, I want to know is there a way to block an email in Gmail I really have an email address that tortures me a lot and I even reported it as spam but my mail box is always full of spam that breaksdown my nerves. If there is solution to block this email address please advise me permanently and give me the perfect solution to all this.
    "Trying is the first step towards failure."

Re: block an email in Gmail

Step1
    Sign into your gmail account.

Step2
    Click on "Create a filter" next to the search box.

Step3
    Fill in the appropriate words that will identify the unwanted email. The easiest way to do this is copy the unwanted email name into the "From" box. For example, if you no longer wish to read email from joebobsmith@gmail.com, copy "joebobsmith@gmail.com" into the "From" box.

Step4
    Click "Next Step".

Step5
    Select the option that best describes where you want the unwanted email to end up. Your choices are : "Skip the Inbox, Archive it, Star it, Apply the label: , Forward it to: , Delete it." In this case, "Delete it" is the best option as the email will be sent directly to your Trash.

Step6
    Click "Create Filter".

Step7
    Review your filter on the next page to make sure it is correct.

Source: ehow.com

You can also Block a Sender in Gmail

To have Gmail send messages from a specific sender to the Trash automatically:
    Follow the Create a filter link (at the top of any Gmail mailbox, near the search buttons).
    Type the desired email address under From:.
    You can block an entire domain by entering just that. To block all mail from both natsuko@example.com and pjotr@example.com, type "@example.com".
    To block more than one address, separate them with "|" (not including the quotation marks). You can block both natsuko@example.com and pjotr@example.com by typing "natsuko@example.com|pjotr@example.com", for example.
    Click Next Step ».
    Make sure Delete it is checked under Choose action.
    Click Create Filter.
    Check Also apply filter to __ conversations below to delete previously received messages.
    To archive and label instead of delete messages, choose Skip the Inbox (Archive it) and Apply the label: under Choose action when setting up the filter.

How to Blacklist or Block Email Addresses or Senders or Domain in Gmail

Gmail, unlike other webmail services, does not have Blocked Senders or Blocked Email Addresses blacklist option. So Gmail users have to rely only on Google spam filter to do its (so far) wonderful works to reject bulk and spam mail messages. So, if you persistently receive harassment email from someone, or a person intentionally send you illicit or sexual materials regularly, you will have to create a filter to blacklist the sender’s name, sender’s email address or if a lot of spammers from the domain, block the domain outright.

So how to create a filter in Gmail to blacklist or block a sender, sender’s email address or sender’s domain? Gmail provides a lot of flexible way to create the filter, and as it’s a filter based blocking, users will have more choice and option to decide what to do with the blocked or filtered emails, instead of silently discard it or send the mail to spam/bulk folder.

The most simple method to block a sender is by using Filter messages like this option available in new Gmail (newer version 2.0 webmail interface released in October 2007) interface. Read the annoying email message from the sender that you want to block, then click Down Arrow to open drop-down menu next to “Reply”, or click on More Actions drop down menu, then select Filter messages like this option.

The “Create a Filter” option pane will open with the sender email address is automatically filled in. Verify that the sender email address is correct. You can do a Test Search to see if the correct emails are returned. If you want to block whole domain (e.g. all email addresses that end in such domain, such as @spammer.com, @spamsource.net, @mail.ru), just remove the user part of email, leaving everything behind @ with domain name intact. Then click on Next button.

Then choose a prefer action to deal the blocked sender. Since it’s blocked, then we should select Delete it as the default action whenever Gmail receives any email from the sender or from that domain. This setting will automatically move all e-mails that matches the filter criteria to Trash. You can always apply other actions to mails from blocked parties, such as Skip the Inbox or Archive it, Mark as read, Star it, Apply a label (if you trash the email these options is useless, but if still want to review the blocked email messages just in case you may miss out any important mail, apply a label named “Blacklist” or “Blocked” and then archive them is good start), or Forward the email to somebody else.

Click on Also apply filter to x conversations below check box if your mailbox already clogged up with numerous unwanted emails from the same sender or domain. Then click on Create Filter button. Voila, the sender is blocked from now onwards.

You can create another filter to block another sender or originating domain. Gmail allows users to create an unlimited number of filters. But if you don’t like to have too many filters, you can add in as many as blocked e-mail addresses to the same filter by enter all email address in the From: field when creating filer, separated by OR. Everything included and listed in the From: field must be place within parentheses at the front and back. For example:

(user1@gmail.com OR user2@gmail.com OR user3@gmail.com OR user4@gmail.com)

This trick combines multiple email addresses wanted to block into one filter. If you already have multiple email addresses added to a special group (such as Blacklist) in Gmail contacts list, Google Operating System has prepared a converter that convert To: field format while composing new email to the filter’s field format, so you don’t have type in every email addresses manually.

If you’re still using older version or old version of Gmail web interface (existing version for users on non-English (US) display language), you have to copy the email address, start filter creating wizard, and paste the email address to the From: field.

Source: mydigitallife.info