Go Back   TechArena Community > Technology > Technology & Internet
Become a Member!
Forgot your username/password?
Tags Active Topics RSS Search Mark Forums Read

Old 13-03-2009

Problem in updating Firefox

hello,

I configured firefox3 for an automatic search for updates and I checked the option "ask what to do when updates are available for Firefox.

I was not warned by Firefox to the availability of version 3.0.7 (I was in 3.0.6). problems was the same for previous versions since version 3 (3.0.4, 3.0.5 etc. ..)

In visiting this forum I knew that 3.0.7 came out and I made the update by clicking "Find Updates" in the help menu (?) FF.

the automatic search is effective for add-ons. When the opportunity arises I am advised to start. I do not see why that would work well for modules and themes but not FF itself.

Is this a known problem or does it do to me?
thank you for your rating
Old 13-03-2009

Re: Problem in updating Firefox

Hello,

Type about: config in the address bar of Firefox and promise to be careful.

Check the value of these options:
app.update.enabled default true
app.update.interval default 86400
app.update.mode default 1
Old 13-03-2009

hello

thank you for your answer
I checked and I get exactly the same value for these three fields

I checked the values of other options app.update modified by the user:

app.update.auto; false
app.update.disable_button.showUpdateHistory; false
app.update.lastUpdateTime.addon-background-update-timer; 1243751000
app.update.lastUpdateTime.background-update-timer; 1243751000
app.update.lastUpdateTime.blocklist-background-update-timer; 1243751000
app.update.lastUpdateTime.microsummary-generator-update-timer; 1243751001
app.update.lastUpdateTime.search-engine-update-timer; 1243751001

all other options have app.update default
Old 13-03-2009

As you already have the updated manual is a bit difficult to predict what will happen next time and find out what is wrong.

So, without any warranty.
You can try to delete the \ updates \ and the files active-update.xml and updates.xml.
Under XP, they are in C: \ Documents and Settings \ <Nom_Session_Windows> \ Local Settings \ Application Data \ Mozilla \ Firefox \ Mozilla Firefox. To adapt to W2000.

Also see if they are not in C: \ Program Files \ Mozilla Firefox \.

You can also (and more) uninstall Firefox from Add / Remove Programs and reinstall it (does not especially personal files). Make a backup of your profile before. This is normally not necessary but it does little, too.

Then it's "wait and see" until the next update.
Old 13-03-2009

in the C: \ Documents and Settings \ User \ Local Settings \ Application Data \ Mozilla \ Firefox \ Mozilla Firefox3
file active update.xml does not even the trace of the previous version (3.0.6), it refers only to the version 3.0.4 and the current version 3.0.7

in passing I noticed that there were still a directory
C: \ documents and Settings \ User \ Local Settings \ Application Data \ Mozilla \ Firefox \ Mozilla Firefox, the file contains active update.xml the history of all versions automatically updated from version 2.0.0.3 to Last 2.0.0.20

I live two versions for several months without harm with installation directories and different profiles. I ended up adopting I uninstalled FF3 and FF2 just a few weeks ago. I had no problem updating to Firefox2.

I think I can get rid of the residual tree FF2 now. I would like your opinion on it ...

I make a backup of the profile and I reinstalled FF3, I cross fingers for the rest ....

thank you for your advice
Old 13-03-2009

I reinstalled firefox3 and my profile has not changed

you only have to wait for the next version to see if it changes something
thank you for everything
Old 13-03-2009

C: \ Documents and Settings \ User \ Local Settings \ Application Data \ Mozilla \ Firefox \ is the directory that contains the cache for Firefox (in C: \ Documents and Settings \ User \ Local Settings \ Application Data \ Mozilla \ Firefox \ Profiles \).

Regarding the version 2 may be deleted. Begin with the move, you clear a little later (does not cache directory).

Even treatment with active-file update.xml that you start by moving.

TechArena Community > Technology > Technology & Internet
Tags: