Thread: Internet Connectivity Problem

Internet Connectivity Problem

I have recently bought a new folding rig which i am not able to connect to the internet. It was running fine but yesterday I downloaded an update of bios and installed it. I don't know what is wrong but possibly something has turned up messy.

I also tried updating everything, reconnecting everything, ipconfig release & renew, IE connection diagnostics, etc; but no solution regarding this.

Please help me regarding this problem

Re: Internet Connectivity Problem

Did you load optimized defaults after you flashed, if not please do so now (And always after a BIOS Flash) and then save/apply/reboot BACK to the BIOS as you will need to set ALL Settings again, especially your SATA/Disk settings.

Then go into your Integrated Peripherals BIOS page and be sure Onboard LAN is enabled, that may be the only setting that is disabled now causing you issues.

How did you flash, and did you load optimized or no? Have you tried going back to F7 and verify that it works and if so try F8 again and verify that it does not? Try the above first and if no luck please try this.

You're right. That Automatic Private IP Address (APIPA) 169.254.x.x is used when a DHCP client cannot connect to its DHCP server. APIPA is installed with the IP protocol, and provides basic connectivity with other APIPA clients on the same network segment when a DHCP server is not available. But, APIPA cannot detect the gateway or DNS server addresses, and cannot be routed without a translation table.

First, ping the loopback address to confirm that IP is configured properly on the client. At the command line, type ... ping 127.0.0.1 ... That being successful, you can dispell the idea of RMA'ing the motherboard.

Then, if a good ethernet cable is connected on both ends, the problem is with the DHCP server, which is likely a role of the cable modem. Do you have instructions of how to reset the modem? There may be a tiny button to depress for a few seconds during power-up. Or you may need to just unplug its power cord for a couple minutes. It really could be as simple as that.

Once you get it connected again, if you type ... ipconfig /all ... again, you should see that the DHCP server, the DNS server, and the default gateway are all the exact same address (the modem, should be able to ping, probably 192.168.0.1), and that the client address is now leased from a DHCP pool on that same network.

I'm thinking that the DHCP server (the cable modem) was still thinking that the IP address that it had leased to the MAC on your machine was still valid/reserved. Your attempt to release/renew from the client would have worked, except that you no longer had connectivity from the client side, because the BIOS flash scrubbed the previous DHCP settings. So, the server wasn't receiving the release command. The lease would have eventually expired on the server side anyway (after a week or so).
    Glad it worked! Here's a link to an article that describes how to configure the server side of DHCP on a Server 2003 machine. It's really kinda simple, which is why many network devices can provide the service on their network segment. Many network devices can also relay the lease negotiations on their segment to a central DHCP server (in a larger topology), to avoid IP duplications.

Did you redo your BIOS settings for you LAN connection like before? When you flash a BIOS and load optimized defaults then save and apply and reboot then all BIOS changes you made before will be gone

Please check over your LAN Settings and see that they are correct in the BIOS Integrated Peripherals page

Yeah, well when you flash a BIOS and load Optimized defaults, they may or may not be setup as you had them before.

You are using the Onboard Ports for your connection right?

You would want >>>
    Onboard H/W LAN Enabled
    Green LAN Enabled
    SMART LAN Press Enter
    Onboard LAN Boot ROM Disabled << does not matter unless you plan to boot to the network. It will allow you to boot from the network card, assuming that in your network there is a system configured as RIS server