Thread: Slow startup in Outlook Express 6

unsure Slow startup in Outlook Express 6

Hey Guys,

Whenever i used to open Outlook Express it used to take around 2 to 3 seconds to startup, but now it takes around 30 to 40 seconds to start. I'm using Outlook Express 6 on my system. To increase my Outlook Express speed i had deleted all files from the programs and Outlook Express folder, even had replaced it with "identical" files from an old image backup. But the effect remains the same. Can any one help me out how do i increase the speed of my Outlook Express at the time of startup. Any kind of information would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Re: Slow startup in Outlook Express 6

The way to fix it involves a little bit of registry editing, so you might want to make a backup if you are worried about making a cock-up hehehehe.

Press Start--> Run and then type regedit into the box, and click OK. Navigate your way to the following key:

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{FB7199AB-79BF-11D2-8D94-0000F875C541}

(To make a backup simply right-click on the key and choose Export, then save it somewhere where you will be able to find it again.)

Expand that key, and there should be a couple of sub-keys within it. One or two sub-keys should be labelled LocalServer32 and InProcServer32. There's a good chance that one or the other won't be there, but don't worry if that's the case. Single-click on the first one, and in the right-hand panel you'll see a string labelled (Default). Double-click it, and remove any information that's in it, and click OK. Do the same with the other sub-key I mentioned. Close the registry editor, and maybe you'd be best to reboot the computer. Try opening Outlook Express again and see if it has made any difference. If not, well, at least you've eliminated one other possibility If you don't notice a difference you might want to import the backed-up registry keys again. All you need to do is double-click the registry file you saved and select "Yes" when prompted if you want to add it to the registry.

These steps apply to slow performance opening or using Outlook Express 6 on Windows XP.

1) Check for existing pstore.log and missing imagehlp.dll. Search the HD for pstore.log and imagehlp.dll Make sure you are searching in hidden files and folders.

a) If pstore.log is there proceed to scanning for AV in step 11 and then do the pstores fix.

b) If imagehlp.dll is missing proceed to step 5.

c) If both pstore.log is there and imagehlp.dll is missing then include extraction of imagehlp in the pstore rip.

d) If that does not resolve then come back to step 2 and complete the steps not tried. If there is no pstore.log file then the evidence does not indicate doing a pstore fix.

2) Check Messenger and Contacts Pane. Check to see if Messenger is checked and see if disabling the contacts pane resolves the slowness issue.

3) Check for Rules. A lot of rules can slow down OE if you are downloading messages.

4) Check for Background compaction. A simple check mark can fix this and is easy to check. 311030.KB.EN-US OLEXP: Outlook Express Is Slow to Open Mail Messages and Links to Web

5) Check imagehlp.dll. If OE is slow to open search for Imagehlp.dll - if missing or the incorrect version then this is the problem. This usually happens after uninstalling Mcafee AV. See 235300.KB.EN-US OLEXP: Outlook Express 5 Starts Very Slowly.

6) Empty the Temp folder. If you find OE opens fairly quickly but opening messages is slow this is likely due to a full temp folder. To find the temp folder type %temp% at the run line.

7) Empty the temporary Internet files.

8) Fixmapi. If you are having trouble switching Identities you can try running fixmapi.exe

9) Create a new Identity. This eliminates the customers data and settings as the culprit.

10) Boot to windows safe mode. If it opens faster here then do clean boot troubleshooting. Note: this might be a sign of a virus on the system.

11) Check for viruses. Find out if they have an anti-virus program and have done a recent update and scan. If they do not or have outdated AV definitions we should consider that a virus may be affecting performance. If they have done a recent virus scan with updated definitions then we can assume this is not the problem and move on.

Try some basics steps:

Delete all old mail that you don’t need. Don’t forget to clean Deleted Items.
    Close and reopen OE. File -> Folder -> Compact all Folders. Close and reopen OE. Then again go to Tools -> Options -> uncheck Automatically log on to Windows Messenger option -> uncheck Send and Receive messages at startup option -> OK. And then Close OE.