Go Back   TechArena Community > Technology > Technology & Internet
Become a Member!
Forgot your username/password?
Tags Active Topics RSS Search Mark Forums Read

Old 02-03-2009

Getting french e or E instead of question mark

I've just set up my new computer and every time I do an email and try to type an apostrophe or a question mark, I get the french e or E with the accent over it. I've tried re-doing my language as I've seen in the other posts, but nothing is working! Can someone help me?
Old 02-03-2009

Re: Getting french e or E instead of question mark

You've got a different keyboard selected, possibly French or Canadian French.

On my Vista system, I had to delete that keyboard map to keep it from being randomly enabled. I never did figure out what was selecting it, and while I'm Canadian, I have no reason to install a French keyboard map (and wouldn't have done so). I disabled every hotkey I could find related to it and it would still switch.

Control Panel, Regional and Language Options, Keyboards and Languages, Change Keyboards. Select the keyboard you that's causing you grief and choose Remove.

If you don't remove the keyboard map, when this switch happens, you'll have to exit the application you're in (Outlook, for example), change keyboards, and restart the app. Changing keyboards without restarting the app doesn't
seem to change the mapping.
Old 02-03-2009

Thank you, thank you Jackson2. I was getting frustrated. It worked!
Old 02-03-2009

I have had the same problem, sometimes cropping up in the middle of an e-mail to someone, making me think that I have typed a code to trigger this - I live in Canada! I'm searching for the answer too, so if you find out, let me know! I also get a small e with an acute accent if I type a slash.
Old 02-03-2009

Go to Control Panel, Regional and Language Options, Keyboards and Languages, Change keyboards.
Mine shows English-US. I'm not sure what is appropriate for Canada.
Old 21-03-2009

You pressed and held the Ctrl & Shift keys at the same time for just a little too long. Press and hold Ctrl-Shift for 5-10 seconds and then let go of them at the same time. It should correct itself. (I do this all the time myself)
Old 15-10-2011

Yes this is the right thing to do. All the crap about keyboard settings and language setting are crap. I find the solution to most computer problems are simple.

TechArena Community > Technology > Technology & Internet
Tags: ,