Thread: Word .doc attachments from email not opening

Word .doc attachments from email not opening

Since I reinstalled Vista and then updated with SP1 when I try to open an email attachment that is a Word .doc file it will not open and gives an error message that the file type does not have an application associated with it. The .doc file extension is associated with Word and I have re-associated it several times. The file will open if I save it elsewhere or drag it to my desktop and then open it. Is there something in the registry or elsewhere than can be modified to correct this annoying problem?

Re: Word .doc attachments from email not opening

Doy you have Microsoft Office or Open Office installed? If you do not, here is a temporary solution for you.

Download Microsoft's free Word Viewer and you will be able to view and print Microsoft Word documents. After you have it installed go to Control Panel -> Default Programs -> select Associate a file type with a program -> let it load the file types and find .doc in the list -> Change Program -> select Word viewer as the default opening program for the .doc file extension..

Now when your OS encounters this particular file extension your OS will know to open it with Word Viewer. Preview might be available in your mail program as well.
    Don't talk unless you can improve the silence.

There should be a 'Scan and Download Attachment' option. Have you used this? Also, create a temporary folder on your desktop, and point the downloads to that folder, so that your desktop is not overcrowded.

I tried the link and learned that it is applicable when one has Word installed. I have Works 8.5 and this does not work. Any other solutions? I cannot open .xsl file either. I have recently changed from XP where opening files was no problem.

Is it possible that you dont have Microsoft Office(word)on your PC?.windows will then attempt to open with another word processing program ie notepad, which cannot handle graphics-hence the error message, just a thought!.
    Don't talk unless you can improve the silence.

Delete your OLK temp files. Go to C:\Documents and Settings\<user>\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\OLKxxx folder. Delete the files there. Now you should be able open Word documents.

It is important to first confirm your ability to open document files outside of Windows Mail, before you attempt to fix a problem with opening them as an attachment inside Windows Mail.

See this similar problem, Cannot Open Word attachment