Go Back   TechArena Community > Technology > Technology & Internet
Become a Member!
Forgot your username/password?
Tags Active Topics RSS Search Mark Forums Read

Old 02-03-2009

Can send email but cannot receive

I use Windows Mail, Comcast.net, Microsoft Outlook and an Advanced Access email address. I have a Sony Vaio using Vista Home Premium. The Windows Mail shows under "sent" that the email was sent but when sending to myself I do not receive any email anywhere, including the Blackberry. I have had no incoming email since 2/14/09 around 10Pm! Suggestion please.
Old 02-03-2009

Re: Can send email but cannot receive

If by "cannot receive mail" you mean mail is not flowing via SMTP to your mail transport agent (qpopper in this case.) Then check your MX records. If the rest of the world cannot resolve your MX records, or cannot resolve the hosts and IPs your MX records declare, you'd see this symptom.
Old 02-03-2009

Check that you setup the account correctly.. login cpanel and check your mail accounts.
Check to see if there are any filters or blocks or anti spammers activiated and see if they are causing the problem.
Old 02-03-2009

I have seen cases where.... when the mailbox is literally full, you cannot delete from it until you RAISE the max size of the mailbox and then delete from it; and then lower the max size of the mailbox.

Of course, this requires the assistance of the mail admin.
Old 02-03-2009

Email scanning should be turned off in any anti-virus. It provides no protection not provided by the regular resident protection. Beside that, McAfee and Norton are not compatible with Windows Mail.
Old 02-03-2009

Is it just one person who cant send you email? If it is the problem might be on ther side, they might have a dirty IP and are being blocked. Also please make sure that your MX records are correct.
Old 02-03-2009

Outlook is installed on the same Vista laptop? Is it possible that Outlook is grabbing the mail from the server before Windows Mail has a chance to get it?

Whenever a sent message appears in the Sent Items folder it means that the message was successfully accepted by the outgoing mail server.

Do you have web access to the incoming mail server? If not, you can check it via http://mail2web.com. This will verify that there is mail waiting to be downloaded, and that the username and password you are using are correct.

TechArena Community > Technology > Technology & Internet
Tags: , , , , , ,