Thread: What's thunderbird inbox limits

sad What's thunderbird inbox limits

Hey Everybody,

Can any one tell me what is the Thunderbird inbox limit? I mean to say that up to what limit it can store mails in its inbox. I have to keep on deleting my mails because it states an error message that you have crossed over your limits. Does any one have any idea how do i increase my inbox capacity? Any help on this would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Re: What's thunderbird inbox limits

To avoid running afoul of this issue, you should organize your mail. Create folders for your saved messages not within the Inbox folder, but rather, under the Local Folders hierarchy. Also, saving file attachments to your hard drive rather than keeping them within email will go a long way to keeping the size of your email folders down.

Yes, there is a 2GB inbox limit, including folders under inbox, but apparently you can split them out to folders under local folders.

One thing you can do is

1. save C:\Documents and Settings\Jim\Application Data\Thunderbird\Profiles\kbtvp0kd.default\Mail\mymailboxname\Inbox (substitue your mailbox name)
    safe somewhere else when Mozilla gets their bug fixed. In other words, make a backup in case you make a mistake!

2. edit the Inbox file with Notpad. it is in mbox format (text). normal email text format. you must understand email headers to know where they start and end. this is where your old programming skills will come in handy. Unfortunately, you will probably run into your limit of virtual memory just opening the file, let alone using the clipboard.
    Unlike Outlook Express' .DBX format (and 2GB limit), this Inbox's 2GB limit is fixable

There is no known limit of the number of accounts you can have. If you run into one, it probably would be either a bug in how many accounts the folder pane can display or due to "Use Global Inbox" being checked for that account. One user mentioned using 90 accounts.

There is no known limit on the number of folders. The maximum size of a folder is 4GB unless the file system limits the maximum file size to a lower value. This shouldn't be an issue unless you're using OS/2. The mbox files (your folders) are stored in a profile folder on your boot disk by default. This would normally limit how much mail you can store to the free space on your boot disk. However, you can use the Profile Manager to create a profile wherever you want (including file shares). It's also possible to configure the mail directories and/or the Local Folders directory to be stored outside of the profile, on any drive or directory. This means the effective limit is how much free disk space you have.