Thread: How to save Emails on a portable hard drive

How to save Emails on a portable hard drive

Hello Friends

Does any one have any idea about how can i save my emails on a portable hard drive? I have some of my important mails on my Outlook Express. I had installed Windows Xp on my system. Is it possible for me to save them on my portable drive? Kindly reply your suggestion.

Thanks.

Re: How to save Emails on a portable hard drive

First, place a shortcut on your desktop for the drive or folder you want to store your email in. To place a shortcut to your A-drive (floppy drive) go into Windows Explorer, right click on the a-drive (it is not necessary to have a disk in it) and select "create shortcut". You will get a warning message that Windows cannot place a shortcut there. It will ask you if you want to place the shortcut on the desktop instead. Click "Yes". Place the shortcut close to one side of your desktop. The shortcut will be named "shortcut to a-drive". If you rename it to "A-drive shortcut" and arrange your desktop alphabetically or use auto-arrange, this should help.

Here's what you do:

1. Make your OE window size smaller by clicking the middle button in the upper right-hand corner. If this doesn't make the window smaller, then click the triangle in the lower right hand corner and drag upward so you can see some desktop space.

2. Create a folder on your desktop by right-clicking a blank area and selecting New / Folder. Name it "Email". You could also create several folders if you want to organize your emails. Put the folder(s) where you can see it.

3. Now it's time to select the email you want saved. If you want all of them, then just use CTRL+A. For selecting some email, hold down the "CTRL" key while clicking the ones you want.

4. After selecting, left-click a highlighted area and drag over to the Email folder. When you see the "+" appear, release the mouse button. You have successfully copied those emails to the folder.

Now that your email is transferred, you can delete it from OE if you want. You can save it to a disk from here.

Now wasn't that easy? It's even easier if you just want to save one email. Highlight the email and go to File/Save as then browse to the folder you want it in and click "Save".

Firefox users can't drag and drop multiple emails, but you can right-click an individual email you want saved and select "Save as" then browse to the folder you want it saved to and click "Save".

These .eml files can then be saved to disk. When you click the file it will open in your default email program.

In order to Backup e-mail messages from Outlook Express, follow the instructions outlined below.

• 1. Click on the “TOOLS” tab and select “OPTIONS”.
    • 2. Click the “MAINTENANCE” Tab.
    • 3. There you will Click the “STORE FOLDER” button.
    • 4. Then you will highlight the Folder Location which is something like: C:\Documents and Settings\Default\Application Data\Identities\{EDE5BBC0-2249-11D4-A8IE-9D30865EF03D}\Microsoft\Outlook Express.
    • 5. Right click and Select Copy or press (CTRL+C) to copy the location of the folder.
    • 6. Click the Cancel button and Cancel again to close ALL boxes.
    • 7. Now you’re going to Click START > Select Run and position the curser on the open box. Right click and PASTE or press (CTRL+V) to paste the e-mail location and click OK.
    • 8. Now, you have a Window containing your e-mail database. ( E-mails are saved in .dbx file format).
    • 9. Click EDIT and SELECT ALL. Click EDIT again and Select COPY and close the Window.
    • 10. Click Start >All programs >Accessories> and Select Windows Explorer to open the Windows Explorer Window.
    • 11. On the top of the page click FILE >Select NEW> Select FOLDER.
    • 12. A highlighted new folder will appear on the right hand side (New Folder). You can rename that folder. Type the name of the new folder and press ENTER on your keyboard.
    • 13. Open that Folder by Double clicking it. On top of the page Click the EDIT menu and Select PASTE and close the Window.
    • 14. You now have your email messages saved (Backed up). You can write them to a CD-RW to transfer them to another pc.
    • 15. Open Windows Explorer and make a new folder on your hard disk. Once that is done, you can then begin to copy the files from the CD-RW to the New Folder.
    • 16. Close all open Windows and Open Outlook Express>Select File> Import> Messages> Microsoft Outlook Express Version(5 or 6) and Click Next.
    • 17. Select “IMPORT MAIL FROM OE (5 or 6 depending on your version) STORE DIRECTORY”. And Click OK.
    • 18. Browse to the previously created folder and Click Next. Now, you can proceed to copy the files from the CD-RW to the Hard Disk.
    • 19. Open Windows Explorer > Open the previously copied files folder > Select all files.
    • 20. Select Files> Properties.
    • 21. Click the box that will open and make sure the Read Only is without a check mark.
    • 22. Click OK and open Outlook Express . Import your messages.