Thread: Export rules from Outlook Express to Windows Mail

idea Export rules from Outlook Express to Windows Mail

Hey Friends

I have a bought a new computer in which i'm using Windows mail and previously i used to use Outlook Express. I would like to know that how can i export the rules from Outlook Express to Windows Mail. I had created more than 75 message rules and wants them in to my new Windows Mail. Can any body tell me how can i export rules form my old Outlook express to new Windows Mail. Any help on it would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Re: Export rules from Outlook Express to Windows Mail

Its simply called backup. However its not as easy as copying a file, because you have to enter the dreaded registry and export it from there. This is the do it yourself version.. If you are lazy you can always get a program that will save and backup your email message rules for you.

First you have to get into the registry.

1. Go to the Start menu at the bottom left corner. Choose run from the menu.

2. Type in regedit and then press OK.

3. Windows Registry Editor will appear.

How to export your Outlook Express Email Settings to backup.

1) Press on the + sign next to HKEY_CURRENT_USER

2) Another list will appear underneath that. Press on the + sign next to identities.

3) Press on the next + sign next to your ID number. (Take note of where to find this number) There should be a folder called software, open this.

4) Then another called Microsoft, then another called Outlook Express, then 5.0.

5) To export the file, all you have to do is right click on the folder you want and a menu will appear.

6) I usually right click on Rules folder as it contains information about the message rules. You could also backup Signatures here too.

7) Then choose to Export. It will ask you if you want to save the file in My Documents.

8) Then you must type a name for the file. Name it something that you can recognize. I name mine "My Message Rules" Follow the instructions below to restore.

Backup and restore your Outlook Express data:

• Email and news messages (including Hotmail messages)
    • Email folder structure
    • Address book
    • Message rules
    • Accounts
    • Blocked Senders list
    • Signatures
    • Stationery
    • OE Personal settings

So is the restore the same in reverse or is there more to it than that?

Quote Originally Posted by BhimaMeUp View Post
    So is the restore the same in reverse or is there more to it than that?
    Can you please specify your querrie in details? There are many tools like the Easy Transfer Wizard that can also transfer emails as well as the email settings and address book if you are migrating it from another computer and can be used to restore the same.

ThumbsUp Re: Export rules from Outlook Express to Windows Mail

Quote Originally Posted by einstein_007 View Post
    Can you please specify your querrie in details? There are many tools like the Easy Transfer Wizard that can also transfer emails as well as the email settings and address book if you are migrating it from another computer and can be used to restore the same.
    I was replying to Jackson2's post as quoted below... I was able to export the proper hives, but the quote made reffrence to "Follow the instructions below to restore." but there was no other information. I am a tech and I should know this one, lol, but better late than never. Thanks for the post too BTW!

"Its simply called backup. However its not as easy as copying a file, because you have to enter the dreaded registry and export it from there. This is the do it yourself version.. If you are lazy you can always get a program that will save and backup your email message rules for you.

First you have to get into the registry.

1. Go to the Start menu at the bottom left corner. Choose run from the menu.

2. Type in regedit and then press OK.

3. Windows Registry Editor will appear.

How to export your Outlook Express Email Settings to backup.

1) Press on the + sign next to HKEY_CURRENT_USER

2) Another list will appear underneath that. Press on the + sign next to identities.

3) Press on the next + sign next to your ID number. (Take note of where to find this number) There should be a folder called software, open this.

4) Then another called Microsoft, then another called Outlook Express, then 5.0.

5) To export the file, all you have to do is right click on the folder you want and a menu will appear.

6) I usually right click on Rules folder as it contains information about the message rules. You could also backup Signatures here too.

7) Then choose to Export. It will ask you if you want to save the file in My Documents.

8) Then you must type a name for the file. Name it something that you can recognize. I name mine "My Message Rules" Follow the instructions below to restore."