Thread: Default mail client not properly installed error

Default mail client not properly installed error

I recently uninstalled microsoft office 2007, since then whenever i click on a email link within explorer it comes up with the message could not perform this operation because the default mail client is not properly installed.

I can open mail seperately and perform all functions. I have also been in to check default setting for mail and all 3 are set.

This is annoying please help

Re: Default mail client not properly installed error

Check to make sure that Windows Mail has all of it's defaults set to
    it. This will show you how - Error: Could not perform this operation because the default mail client is not properly installed

Thank you for that link. But none of the suggestions in that worked for me. The same error still comes up.

This the same issue I have. I uninstalled the trial version of Office then started having issues. All of mail defaults are set. I did not have a MailTo listed in protocols. Another post said to download some kind of patch which I did. Now I have MailTo listed in protocols and the correct program linked to it. Still having the same issue. Do I need to go in and manaually fix the issue according to the "Fix svchost.exe Errors"?

I've had the same problem in XP now in Vista. My fantastic IT dept didnt have a clue, but me being bored have read various replies to no avail so decided to play with the settings myself and yippeee done it on my laptop anyway. Open up tools - internet options - programs, then - set programs - set programme access and computer defaults - custom (open it up) select windows mail (not current email programme) and ok. This is now working for me.

golcargirl Guest

Quote Originally Posted by israar View Post
    I've had the same problem in XP now in Vista. My fantastic IT dept didnt have a clue, but me being bored have read various replies to no avail so decided to play with the settings myself and yippeee done it on my laptop anyway. Open up tools - internet options - programs, then - set programs - set programme access and computer defaults - custom (open it up) select windows mail (not current email programme) and ok. This is now working for me.
    Im having the same problem. IT dept wont cant fix, im on windows xp office 2007. the onlky thing that has changed recently is we are now on exchnage servers for our email. since then it stopped working. it dept throw hands and talk of wiping said pc. please help this is extremely fustrating
    I cant find internet options in my outlook tools

Quote Originally Posted by golcargirl View Post
    Im having the same problem. IT dept wont cant fix, im on windows xp office 2007. the onlky thing that has changed recently is we are now on exchnage servers for our email. since then it stopped working. it dept throw hands and talk of wiping said pc. please help this is extremely fustrating
    I cant find internet options in my outlook tools
    You can try to restore outlook to the E-mail clients list in Internet Options by downloading the XP_RestoreOE.zip file from here and save it to your hard drive. Double-click the XP_RestoreOE.zip and extract the contents to your hard disk. Double click the XP_RestoreOE.exe file. Just click the repair button, and the missing/damaged Registry entries will be corrected.

Thanks this helped me get my hyperlink to work on ie, I want users to click on my email and automatically be able to send me email directly from just clicking on the link.