Thread: Chrome Web Browser forces for Single Window

Chrome Web Browser forces for Single Window

hi

I am having a critical problem with chrome web browser.
    Chrome is still a piece of problematic world. But still I would like to know how to force chrome web browser for opening all links as tabs rather than in different windows each time on desktop.

I can't find any way to do this.
    I don't have any idea regarding this.

Any clues?

Please provide some suggestion regarding this

Re: Chrome Web Browser forces for Single Window

On both my main (Vista x64) and laptop (XP SP3), Google Chrome opens links in new tabs by default.

The only way I know how to open links in new windows is via shortcuts.

That your installation is behaving in the opposite manner is pretty bizarre! Do you recall whether there was an option during initial setup to specify a preference for single-window mode?

Googling around, I see very few ways of changing Chrome's behaviours once installed.. all of the 'about:' pages are for stats / info and not for changing any meaningful settings as you can with FF3's about:config..

Chrome the new browser from Google has launched it's new version.

The browser had become the master application where most of our work and play on the computer is done these days. As Google had nicely put it in their blog post All of us at Google spend much of our time working inside a browser. We search, chat, email and collaborate in a browser. And in our spare time, we shop, bank, read news and keep in touch with friends all using a browser. What we really needed was not just a browser, but also a modern platform for web pages and applications, and that's what we set out to build.

So it seems that the guys at Google understood that if they base their business on web browsing, they better make sure that browsing experience is fast, secure and continues to flourish. Counting on Microsoft to do that for you.

Here is a short list of some of the innovation the Chrome is introducing:
    Process isolation for tabs and plugins within tabs. Awesome. No more will a single window force me to kill the browser with all 30 tabs I have open gone with the wind.
    New Javascript virtual machine that will product compiled machine code. If Javascript is to be the future of rich web interfaces (as opposed to the propriatery Flash or Silverlight) it needs to run fast and be more robust and that's exactly what the new virtual machine is providing.
    Gears Integration: with Gears support for persistency and OS level access, developers can build client level applications for the web with reasonable portability
    Security: the new security model offers a strong foundation for ongoing security schema that can be used by application coders and plugin providers.

Google will also make the whole thing open source, allow plugins and invites everyone to add and extend.

That's the kind of innovation we need in order to keep the web growing and becoming the robust platform for work and play.

Google's new Chrome browser has a lot to offer in terms of new technology. Google has recognized that something needed to be done to enable browser technology to catch up to the current state of Web application development. Jeff Cogswell looks under the hood to see what makes it tick.

In the pages that follow, I give a rundown of the new Chrome browser from Google from a technical perspective. I’m not giving every detail of the nuts and bolts of Chrome, nor am I giving an overview of the cool new features. Rather, this is an overview of some of the interesting technical aspects that I discovered while reading the docs on Chrome and looking at some of the open-source code.

If you’re a manager who wants a technical overview, read on. If you’re a developer, you’ll want to read this before reading my future articles about development for Chrome.

ABOUT new Chrome web browser from Google:

The latest entry in the browser wars is Google’s Chrome, an open source project with a special emphasis on speeding up JavaScript performance. Although a beta of the browser is only available for Windows (Mac and Linux versions are coming soon), the browser already promises a handful of features to separate it from its competitors.

Like most browsers, this one also provides a tabbed interface for opening multiple web pages within a single window. One visual difference is that this browser displays tabs at the top of the window, unlike other browsers that display tabs underneath the address bar. This placement of tabs may take getting used to, but it does make tabs more visible and easier to spot.

Since a tabbed interface can be so convenient to use, this browser adopts one of Internet Explorer’s features. Instead of pressing a clumsy keystroke combination like Ctrl+T (Windows) or Command+T (Mac), you can open a new tab just by clicking on a New Tab button that always appears next to the row of existing tabs.

One problem with other browsers is that if you open multiple web pages in tabs and one web page freezes, all web pages in other tabs hang as well. Since Google hopes to run web applications, such as Google Docs, this browser offers a unique task manager feature, similar to the Task Manager found in Windows.

Right-click in the empty space near the tabs and you can choose Task manager from a pop-up menu. This displays the Task Manager dialog box, which not only lets you see how much memory each web page gobbles up, but also gives you the ability to select and shut down web pages individually. Doing this insures that one buggy web page won’t bring your whole web browser screeching to a halt.

Besides restricting web pages from crashing other open web pages, this browser’s tabbed interface also isolates web pages in a sandbox, which effectively isolates any malicious websites from attacking your computer. For added security, the program will constantly update and block a list of known malicious websites used to plant malware on your computer or mimic the websites of trusted financial institutions.

With other browsers, you can type a website address in the address box and a search phrase in the search box. Rather than clutter the interface with two visually identical text boxes, this program displays a single text box. This text box, called the omnibox, gets its name because you can type either an address or search phrase in and the program is smart enough to know how to handle different types of input.

Borrowing the Speed Dial feature from Opera, Google’s browser displays a home page that can contain thumbnail images of multiple websites. Rather than force you to choose a single web page as your home page, this list of thumbnail images lets you choose multiple home pages that you can pick at the click of the mouse.