Thread: Browser not supported message in firefox

Browser not supported message in firefox

Hello,
    If I for example with Firefox go to the Google Calendar, I always get this message ' Browser not supported ' . I Have the latest Java, Release 12, 6.0 installed. On other pages, I have difficulties. i am using windows XP Service pack 3.

Thank you
    Just a reply to say thank you for these links and posts I have a lot to read and learn now!

Re: Browser not supported message in firefox

For Google Calendar, you need just JavaScript. Do you have cookies enabled, as should also be activated. you can do it even with its new installation of Firefox to try. downgrading firefox is also an option.

Cookies are enabled. Javascript is enabled. I've even downloaded the latest version. In about: plugins, everything is enabled. I have reinstalled it already. but no change.
    Just a reply to say thank you for these links and posts I have a lot to read and learn now!

To the best of my knowledge, Firefox _does_ support ActiveX. But that's not the point either. My point is that with all of the technologies available today, there's no reason we, as developers, should have to _force_ someone to use one browser over another.

Sure, maybe the reports and such might be built on top of the .NET framework, but there are better ways to handle the incompatibilities between browsers rather than just throw a "Browser Not Supported" message to the end user.

It seems that these "messages" appear most often when a site has been developed by .NET developers (check the .aspx extensions). It also seems to me that the majority of .NET developers I've met give little, if any, regard to usability and care even less about cross-browser testing, etc. The people I've met just like to drop the built-in controls onto the page, tie them to a database and move on.