Thread: Spell check is not workinfg in firefox

Spell check is not workinfg in firefox

Hi friends,
    I am using the latest version of firefox (Firefox/3.0.6). and my problem is that the feature of spell check is not working. it used to work previously. can you tell me how to install or enable spell check in firefox ?

Thanks in advance for your answers.
    Computer:

Windows XP Professional
    Asus A8N-VM Socket 939 Motherboard with NForce 410
    AMD Athlon 64 3500+ 2.45ghz-Venice Core
    2x1024MB PC3200 Kingston Ram in Dual Channel
    ATI Radeon X800XL 256MB GDDR3,16 Pipelines overclocked to 442mhz/1080mhz
    Enermax 420W "Silent" Powersupply

Re: Spell check is not workinfg in firefox

Firefox has its own in-built spell check, but this spell check is available only in Text area and text fields (text boxes) will not show spelling mistakes. Many times blogging titles have spelling mistakes because of this. But a simple trick can activate spell check in text fields as well. To do this, open the config file of Firefox. Type about:config in address bar and press enter.

Now in the filter field, type the following value- layout.spellcheckDefault

The default value of this parameter is 1. Double click on this parameter and change the value to 2. Close config file and now open any page which has a textbox and check for wrong spelling (no restart required).

If you’ve recently installed a new version of Firefox (a fresh install - not an update), then you might find that the “check spelling as I type” feature no longer works. This is because some of the newer releases of Firefox don’t come with a dictionary. If your Firefox download didn’t come with a dictionary file, you can simply download one from here

The not working spelling checker in Firefox is probably caused by missing dictionary, or no dictionary installed. This is especially if you already ensure and double check that Firefox spell checker is enabled in Check my spelling as I type option in “Browsing” section of “General” tab under “Advanced” heading.

Check and verify that properly dictionary in the typed language is installed and added to Firefox. To check, simply right click on any user type-able field, and if you see an option Add dictionaries… as shown in figure below, that’s mean no dictionaries existed in Firefox, so spelling check won’t work.

To install and add dictionary, simply click on Add dictionaries… menu item. Firefox will launch a new window or tab to load Firefox Add-ons: Dictionaries page, where you can install various languages dictionaries that work with the spell-checking feature in Firefox. Restart Firefox after installing, and the spell checker should now works properly.