Thread: YouTube Starts Selling Video Downloads

YouTube Starts Selling Video Downloads

Youtube is determined to better monetize its expensive video hosting service: The platform now allows authors to allow video recording and reuse of their content by anyone. Youtube uses for the various alternatives that Creative Commons licenses (CC).

In this context, the author of a video can opt for a purely free or condition such use to pay a certain amount through Google Checkout, the payment solution online home. My Purchases a section (cart) appeared for this in the dashboard Youtube.

5 license types are offered:
    Personal, noncommercial use
    • Creative Common (By NC ND) respect the right of paternity, no commercial use, distribution possible, but no change
    • Creative Common (by-nc-sa). Authorship, derivative works allowed but only under a license equivalent to the original contract, no commercial use.
    • Creative Commons (Attribution): distribution, commercial use and derivative works are allowed. The right of paternity must be respected.
    • Public domain
    • Several universities are testing the distribution under DC content

Already, Google has partnered with several leading universities (Stanford, Duke, UC Berkeley, UCLA, and UCTV) to enable YouTube users to download these contents. For those who travel or teachers who wish to distribute this content in a classroom without internet connectivity can find it practical, says Google. Other partners have embarked on this ground as khanacademy, and HouseholdHacker pogobat. The use of downloadable content is not monetized at the moment, I believe.

Final details: Only official partners of Google can start this project and it is obviously not possible to monetize content "ripped" the watch on TV ... The test is also reserved for the moment as the United States. Finally, for this pilot phase, downloads will be in MP4 format, without DRM. Youtube but suggests that changes could be envisaged in this field in the future, therefore, with licenses to use much more closed.

Many scripts and solutions exist today to download content on Youtube. We recently reported a small hack to "three letters" to download any content on the platform.

Re: YouTube Starts Selling Video Downloads

Basically it's just what the VOD?

A $ 1 the video a lot back to the creators, it will not necessarily stir millions if they propose not pure content (kind VOSTFR series the day after their U.S. broadcast). But if they do it, so it promises!

Wait & see ...

I think we will soon see problems on the CC licenses ... Just last week an artist Jamendo has cheated (using music by France 2 compliance without conditions), multiplied by the power input on Youtube has not heard the end of this! Finally, if it allows them to know and be better framed, it is always taken to.

Quote Originally Posted by Sloane View Post
    I think we will soon see problems on the CC licenses ... Just last week an artist Jamendo has cheated (using music by France 2 compliance without conditions), multiplied by the power input on Youtube has not heard the end of this! Finally, if it allows them to know and be better framed, it is always taken to.
    It was already full of problems on the CC licenses Especially in photo For example, if an advertising agency who has recovered pictures in CC to make a poster campaign to thousands of copies. Except it was made photos of minors without parental permission by a teacher. Big problem of image rights with aggravating circumstances (minor). And in this case, the photographer, who has a penny in the case, who should pay the hundreds of thousands of dollars in legal fees and compensation since the establishment of the license commits Another problem that will exist is that some CC licenses are not compatible with French law. In particular, it is illegal to sell (whether free or paid) paternity and moral right to work in France. CC licenses have since been upgraded, but users are generally not aware of. The consequences can be quite nasty ... For example, I distribute a photo under CC license. It is used by the FN for an ad campaign. Whatever the CC license, I can ask for my picture of the campaign. This is even more complicated in an international context, knowing that the French law (which applies, I'm French) is much more protective than the U.S. ... There are also the same problem with microstocks. The assignment "free" is completely illegal in France, yet that is what sells these stocks ...

The idea itself is interesting (although that is not an official partner can not use it even if it has the rights to his video) ... But in practice, it's been years that everyone is used to retrieve all the videos he wants and do whatever he wants ... So in effect, no chance that these CC licenses are respected.

Yes, indeed I think it will have to Youtube is a technical way to deal with it otherwise it will purchase a limited extent. None - or almost - and other major content owners do get involved in this service if the video is simply accessible without pay. Otherwise, I hope that the license is included in the video file. Not sure that six months after what is remembered is the license file so. Furthermore, I never really understood why Google did not uploaders the option to put their videos for download. That should make large savings in bandwidth, no? Unless it is more profitable than Internet display ads come on the site (but that surprised). On the other hand, it prevents the spread on a larger scale of copyrighted files. In short, good idea to allow the download but not sure that it takes the long road .