Thread: Transfer contacts from Outlook to Gmail

Transfer contacts from Outlook to Gmail

Hello,
    I want to transfer my contacts from Gmail into Outlook. Can you tell me the procedure? I tried different solutions (files. Csv, vcf ...) I is a single contact that is transferred or I have many empty boxes in outlook that are created.

Thank you,

Re: Transfer contacts from Outlook to Gmail

To export Hotmail contacts list to a Microsoft Excel CSV (Comma Separated Values) file (it’s the only file format provided by Windows Live Hotmail, but also the most widely acceptable format as it’s in text format), log and sign in to the Windows Live or MSN Hotmail account. Then click on the Options button on the top right corner.

In the Options pull down menu, click on More Options link at the bottom of the list.

In the “Options” page, under “Customize your contacts” section, click on Export contacts link.
    Next, click on Export contacts button. A file saving dialog will appear to allow you to save the contacts list file. Save the file in a convenient location on your computer. By default the exported file is named as WLMContacts.csv in Microsoft Excel Comma Separated Values file format. The file format and extension is fixed, however you can change and pick any filename you like.

Once the exported .CSV file with contacts information from Hotmail is saved, the file can be used to transfer contacts list to another email service by using option to import contacts from a CSV file. For example, to copy and transfer the contacts in Hotmail to Gmail, click on “Contacts” page, then click on “Import” on top right corner. Select the Hotmail contacts CSV file, and click on “Import Contacts” button, and voila, all your Hotmail contacts now exist intact in Gmail contact.
    I'm the Proud Owner of the most dangerous weapon
    known to man kind: Human Brain

Re: Transfer contacts from Outlook to Gmail

Before you export contacts from Outlook, it helps to understand the difference between the Outlook Address Book and Outlook Contacts. Both are part of Outlook. However, the Address Book is a compilation of the different address lists you might store in Outlook, such as LDAP (Lightweight Directory Access Protocol (LDAP): A protocol that provides access to Internet Directories.) Internet directories, the Global Address List (Global Address List: The address book that contains all user, group, and distribution list e-mail addresses in your organization. The administrator creates and maintains this address book. It may also contain public folder e-mail addresses.) (GAL), or other third-party address books. Contacts is just one of the address lists included in an Address Book. Only contacts can be exported directly from Outlook to Google Gmail.

1. In Outlook, on the File menu, click Import and Export.
    2. Click Export to a file, and then click Next.
    3. Click Comma Separated Value (DOS), and then click Next.
    4. In the folder list, click the contacts folder you want to export, and then click Next.
    5. Choose a location on your computer to temporarily save the file.

Note You can delete this file after your contacts are imported into Google Gmail.
    6. Type a name for the exported file, and then click OK.
    7. Click Next.
    8. To add or remove fields to determine the way the contact information is saved in the new imported file, click Map Custom Fields.

Note The Map Custom Fields button in the Export to a File dialog box might not be available when you try to import data from another program or file. In the The following actions will be performed box, select the Export check box, and then the Map Custom Fields button is available.
    9. Click Finish.
    10. Log on to your Google Gmail account.In the left column, click Contacts.
    11. On the right side of your screen, above the message count, click Import.Under Import Contacts, click Browse.
    12. Select the file you exported . Click Open- Click Import Contacts.