Thread: How can i change email account in Thunderbird

ThumbsUp How can i change email account in Thunderbird

Hey everyone,

I would like to know that how can i change my email account in Thunderbird? I'm having three email accounts in Thunderbird. Does any one have any idea about how to change the default account when composing a new messages?

Thanks.

Re: How can i change email account in Thunderbird

Hey follow the following steps:-

1. Click on the inbox A

2. The email list seems sorted in the wrong order (oldest first)

3. Change the sort order to group sort (View--> Sort By--> Grouped by Sort)

4. Change the sort order to unthreaded (View--> Sort By--> Unthreaded)

5. Click on the date column to make it sort the right way (newest emails first)

6. Click on another folder (say Inbox B)

7. Click on Inbox A and the sort order seems to persist.

Hope this helps you!

Go to the Tools menu and select Account Setting. Change your address in the box marked "Email address" and click OK.

The details of these menu options may be slightly different in Linux versions of Thunderbird.

You might wait and find out if there is an easier way, but this does work:

Back up your entire account profile first (this goes without saying).

The account that displays first is the one you have marked as your
    default account (Tools/Account Settings/[Set as Default]). I don't think you can change that. After your mail accounts, the Local Folders appears, followed by the Usenet accounts.

Go in to Tools/Options/Advanced and click on [Config Editor].

In Filter, type "accounts" (no quotes).

Scroll down and look for mail.accountmanager.accounts. The value should
    look like "account1,account9,account3,account5,account4,account6,account8,account10,account2,account11".
    This controls the order that the accounts display. You can look up account9.name or whichever to determine which account is which. Then edit the value of mail.accountmanager.accounts to set the order that you prefer. You will need to exit and restart Thunderbird for the changes to take effect.

Thunderbird supports using POP and IMAP mail servers for fetching/reading new messages, and SMTP servers for sending messages. It does not support webmail. If you want to use webmail (or WebDAV or HTTPMail) with Thunderbird you need to use an add-on that essentially makes it emulate a POP or IMAP account.

Your email provider (frequently its your ISP) creates an account (that you can also access via webmail), gives you permission to access their mail servers, assigns you a email address, username, password etc. Thunderbird doesn't do that, its just a email client (like Outlook Express, Eudora etc.) The account you create in Thunderbird is basicly just a way to tell Thunderbird how to access your email providers account/mail servers.

It doesn't have any of the information you need to configure it (such as your email address, username, password, mail server etc.). If your email provider isn't listed and the support page on thier web site doesn't have instructions for Thunderbird, its easiest to follow instructions for Netscape or Mozilla as the main difference is the menu command used to display the account settings window.

Thunderbird doesn't leave a copy on the POP server when it downloads a new message. Check "Tools -> Account Settings -> Server Settings -> Leave messages on server" if you want to be able to access your mail using either Thunderbird or a browser. You may want to set the number of days it keeps a copy to avoid filling up your webmail mailbox.