Thread: US Vista Network/IP Gateway problems on Dorm Wifi

unsure US Vista Network/IP Gateway problems on Dorm Wifi

I have a Dell Studio 15. And am using Windows Vista Home Premium.
    I bought it in the US and now am studying in Italy. I can connect to the campus wifis and several points around the city but my dorm wifi network seems to have trouble. I did the diagnostics test and my Gateway IP fails. I was wondering how I can manipulate my computer settings/network settings in order to pass it.

Symptoms:
    When I use either Chrome, Mozilla, or Explorer I am prompted to sign into my the networks Access page. that loads quickly. i sign in. and access is granted everytime to the network main page. then i'll type in google.com or facebook.com or whatever and it will connect (after a few seconds) but from there on out navigation is limited. for instance, google.com lets me search for something. the queries pop up but then i am not able to follow the links...i get Network Timeout, or Unable to access Internet, or Cannot find Page, etc...

i'm hoping i don't have to switch off vista because other people in the dorm can access it fine with vista.

i apologize for the lengthiness but i'm semi-desperate.

thanks for reading

Re: US Vista Network/IP Gateway problems on Dorm Wifi

It has to do something with your connection or either Vista. Read up the MS article here: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/933872

Adding a gateway
    • Select Network => Branch Office VPN => Manual IPSec.
    • The IPSec Configuration dialog box appears. The Manual IPSec menu option is disabled if you have a Firebox 500 and have not purchased the BOVPN Upgrade.
    • Click Gateways.
    • The Configure Gateways dialog box appears, as shown in the following figure.
    • To add a gateway, click Add.
    • The Remote Gateway dialog box appears, as shown below.
    • Enter the gateway name.
    • This name identifies a gateway only within Policy Manager.
    • Use the Key Negotiation Type drop-down list to select either ISAKMP (dynamic) or Manual.
    • Use the Remote ID Type drop-down list to select either IP Address, Domain Name, or User Name.
    • Enter the gateway IP address or identifier according to your previous selection.
    • A SOHO using DHCP or PPPoE for its external IP address must use the domain name as the identifier in the Firebox configuration.
    • Select either the Shared Key or Firebox Certificate option to specify the authentication method to be used. If you select Shared Key, enter the shared key.
    • These options are available only for ISAKMP-negotiated gateways. The same key must be entered at the remote device.
    • If you want to define Phase 1 settings, click More.
    • The Phase 1 settings fields appear, as shown in the following figure. Phase 1 refers to the initial phase of the IKE negotiation. It involves authentication, session negotiation, and key exchange.
    • In the Local ID Type drop-down list, specify IP Address, Domain Name, or User Name.
    • In the Authentication field, specify the type of authentication: SHA1-HMAC or MD5-HMAC.
    • In the Encryption field, enter the type of encryption: DES-CBC or 3DES-CBC.
    • In the Diffie-Hellman group field, specify the group. WatchGuard supports groups 1 & 2.
    • Diffie-Hellman refers to a mathematical technique for securely negotatiating secret keys over a public medium. Diffie-Hellman groups are collections of parameters used to achieve this. Group 2 is more secure than group 1, but requires more time to compute the keys.
    • If you choose, select the checkbox marked Enable Perfect Forward Secrecy.
    • When this option is selected, each new key that is negotiated is derived by a new Diffie-Hellman exchange instead of from only one Diffie-Hellman exchange.
    • Enabling this option provides more security, but requires more time because of the additional exchange.

• If you choose, select the checkbox marked Enable Aggressive Mode.
    • Mode refers to an exchange of messages in Phase 1. Main Mode is the default.
    • Specify negotiation timeouts in either kilobytes, hours, or both.
    • If you specify both, the timeout occurs at whichever time arrives earliest.
    • When you finish adding gateways, click OK to return to the IPSec Configuration dialog box

Editing and removing a gateway

To edit a gateway, from the Configure Gateways dialog box:

1. Select the gateway and click Edit.

The Remote Gateway dialog box appears.

2. Make changes according to your security policy preferences and click OK.

To remove a gateway, from the Configure Gateways dialog box, select the gateway and click Remove.