speedtouch 536 v6 DSL modem
    internal ip 10.0.0.1 dhcp enable

conencted to my linksys router with l2tp passthru
    192.168.2.1 DHCP Disable

i have the vpn server connected to the router
    vpn server ip 192.168.2.7
    gateway 192.168.2.1

my client in on dsl so i manualy assign the ip configuracion
    the default internet gateway is 192.168.1.1 so i configured in advance tpc/ip configuracion option an extra gateway poiting to my vpn server 192.168.2.7

but it doesn't seem to work
    the only way it work is if i foward my internet ip add directrly to my vpn server having to connect of course the dsl and vpn server in to the saem fisical network

please can some one point me in the right direction on how to configured this properly

DSL speedtouch modem ->linksys Router -> vpn server running windows server 2003

Re: VPN connection help

How to Configure?

For the remote access server to forward traffic properly inside your network, you must configure it as a router with either static routes or routing protocols, so that all of the locations in the intranet are reachable from the remote access server.

To configure the server as a router:

1. Click Start, point to Administrative Tools, and then click Routing and Remote Access.
    2. Right-click the server name, and then click Properties.
    3. Click the General tab, and then click to select Router under Enable this computer as a.
    4. Click LAN and demand-dial routing, and then click OK to close the Properties dialog box.

The default Client TCP/IP setting might interfere with your ability to access the Internet while having a VPN connection. To correct this:

1. Go to the properties for your VPN connection
    2. Click on the Networking tab
    3. Double click on TCP/IP
    4. Click on the Advanced button
    5. Uncheck "Use default gateway on remote computer"

Try this:

How to create a new VPN connection

1. Click Start, click Control Panel, click Network and Internet Connections, and then click Network Connections.
    2. Click Create a new connection, and then click Next.
    3. Click Connect to the network at my workplace, and then click Next.
    4. Click Virtual Private Network connection, and then click Next.
    5. Type a descriptive name for your company, and then click Next.
    6. Click Do not dial the initial connection, and then click Next.
    7. Type the host name or IP address of the computer where you are connecting, and then click Next.
    8. Use one of the following methods:
    * Click Anyone's use if you want to share the connection with all users.
    * Click My use only if you do not want to share the connection.
    9. Click Next, and then click Finish.

Note This method works when you are connected to the Internet only.

How to Configure a VPN Connection from a Client Computer?

To set up a connection to a VPN, follow these steps. To set up a client for virtual private network access, follow these steps on the client workstation:

You must be logged on as a member of the Administrators group to follow these steps.

Because there are several versions of Microsoft Windows, the following steps may be different on your computer. If they are, see your product documentation to complete these steps.

1. On the client computer, confirm that the connection to the Internet is correctly configured.
    2. Click Start, click Control Panel, and then click Network Connections. Click Create a new connection under Network Tasks, and then click Next.
    3. Click Connect to the network at my workplace to create the dial-up connection. Click Next to continue.
    4. Click Virtual Private Network connection, and then click Next.
    5. Type a descriptive name for this connection in the Company name dialog box, and then click Next.
    6. Click Do not dial the initial connection if the computer is permanently connected to the Internet. If the computer connects to the Internet through an Internet Service Provider (ISP), click Automatically dial this initial connection, and then click the name of the connection to the ISP. Click Next.
    7. Type the IP address or the host name of the VPN server computer (for example, VPNServer.SampleDomain.com).
    8. Click Anyone's use if you want to permit any user who logs on to the workstation to have access to this dial-up connection. Click My use only if you want this connection to be available only to the currently logged-on user. Click Next.
    9. Click Finish to save the connection.
    10. Click Start, click Control Panel, and then click Network Connections.
    11. Double-click the new connection.
    12. Click Properties to continue to configure options for the connection. To continue to configure options for the connection, follow these steps:
    * If you are connecting to a domain, click the Options tab, and then click to select the Include Windows logon domain check box to specify whether to request Windows Server 2003 logon domain information before trying to connect.
    * If you want the connection to be redialed if the line is dropped, click the Options tab, and then click to select the Redial if line is dropped check box.

To use the connection, follow these steps:

1. Click Start, point to Connect to, and then click the new connection.
    2. If you do not currently have a connection to the Internet, Windows offers to connect to the Internet.
    3. When the connection to the Internet is made, the VPN server prompts you for your user name and password. Type your user name and password, and then click Connect.
    4. Your network resources must be available to you in the same way they are when you connect directly to the network.NOTE: To disconnect from the VPN, right-click the connection icon, and then click Disconnect.

hi sorry for missleading you
    my problem are the ip configuracion need help on pointing the correct ip to de correct gateway on both sides client and vpn sever

Establishing a VPN connection on the ICS Host modifies the Routing Table on the ICS Host and forces all clients that try to connect to the Internet to use the VPN routing table instead of the routing table used to connect to the Internet service provider (ISP). This can create the following issues:

For more information please visit the following link:
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/234773

Try this one:

1. Go to Start / Settings / Network Connections
    2. Start the New Connection Wizard
    3. Select Connect to the network at my workplace
    4. Click on the Next button.
    5. Click on Virtual Private Network connection
    6. Click on the Next button
    7. Give the Connection a Name
    8. Click on the Next button
    9. If prompted, select whether or not you need to dial to the Internet before establishing a VPN connection.
    10. Enter in the IP address of the server you want to connect to. This needs to be the external WAN IP address that is being used by the VPN Server. Not the LAN IP address of the VPN server.
    11. Check whether you want to have an icon placed on the desktop and click on the Finish button.
    12. Browsing the remote network can be difficult if not impossible over a VPN connection. There are too many variables that can hinder this.
    13. To make browsing work a little easier, you might want to edit the HOSTS and LMHOSTS files on the VPN Client.
    14. These are in the C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc directory for XP.
    15. Just add a line with the LAN IP address of the VPN server followed by it's name.
    16. e.g
    17. 192.168.1.10 SERVER
    18. You can also add in the LAN IP address and Name of any other computers on the remote network that you may want to connect to
    19. Also, make sure the workgroup name is the same on all computers.
    20. Go to the properties for your VPN connection
    21. Click on the Networking tab
    22. Double click on TCP/IP
    23. Click on the Advanced button
    24. Uncheck "Use default gateway on remote computer