Go Back   TechArena Community > Technology > Technology & Internet
Become a Member!
Forgot your username/password?
Tags Active Topics RSS Search Mark Forums Read

Old 28-01-2009

angry Unable to connect to Microsoft website

Hello everyone,

I'm unable to connect to Microsoft website, otherwise i get connected with other web sites. I'm using internet explorer 6 as my web browser. I don't understand what exactly the problem is all about? Can any one help me out how can i resolve this problem?

Thanks
Old 28-01-2009

Re: Unable to connect to Microsoft website

Try to run "tracert" for that site. Run a tracert or ping, and save the text file.

Then go to Start programs in that select Accessories and select "command prompt" in windows Xp or you can also choose MS DOS prompt in the program list.

Type either ping or tracert the site E.G. ping www. microsoft.com or tracert www.microsoft.com
Old 28-01-2009

One possible way could be that a worm has infected your computer.Follow the directions below mention.

* Click Start, and then click Search.

* Click All files and folders.-->In the "All or part of the file name" box, type:

hosts

* Verify that "Look in" is set to "Local Hard Drives" or to "C:"

* Click "More advanced options."

* Check "Search system folders."

* Check "Search subfolders."

* Click Search.

* Click Find Now or Search Now.

For each one that you find, right-click the file, and then click "Open With."
Deselect the "Always use this program to open this program" check box.
Scroll through the list of programs and double-click Notepad.
When the file opens, within the file, delete all the entries in the Hosts file where the line begins with 0.0.0.0.

For example:

0.0.0.0 www.microsoft.com

There may be many lines like this. Delete all of them.

Close Notepad and save your changes when prompted.

Old 28-01-2009

Check out whether "www.microsoft.com" is listed in your host file. If it is, then you most likely have been infected with a specific worm on your system . This is not the only worm that could change the hosts file but its considered to be dangerous one which do not allow you to access Microsoft website. In order to access microsoft website you need to remove this worm from your system.

TechArena Community > Technology > Technology & Internet
Tags: