Go Back   TechArena Community > Technology > Technology & Internet
Become a Member!
Forgot your username/password?
Tags Active Topics RSS Search Mark Forums Read

Old 14-01-2009

show the DNS with linux command if possible

Well my network card I have set in linux mode traveling, that is, everything is automated, well I wanted to know the DNS now have to use the same settings in the manual and get pass the local static ip and good results not down with that command can get my DNS settings.

I always had done editing the file / etc / resolv.conf by hand, but if it is empty, how can I know what my dns?

Greetings
Old 14-01-2009

Re: show the DNS with linux command if possible

It is empty if you have not set any set dns.
Old 14-01-2009

No DNS resolv.conf put in by hand, but that does not mean that you are not using DNS, but DNS would not make sense to resolve web addresses.

Travelers in the way you allocate your ISP's DNS ... ... is not it?

In Windows for example when we have the dns automatically assigned enough to do an ipconfig / all and the DNS shows that we have, however, how this is done as linux?

Greetings
Old 15-01-2009

When you get an address for dhcp default router gives you your own address in turn it take the default isp.

But if you do not have DNS configured dns is impossible to resolve, otherwise you have the configuration will be elsewhere. But you have to take them, but it would have taken effect if DNS is not necessary?
Old 23-01-2009

I think we are saying the same thing

Regarding that it is impossible to resolve the DNS that I have been assigned by the ISP did not know that is impossible because even if the configuration of a DHCP server from my ISP for example, thought that perhaps there is any way to know because it necessarily involved the connection between my computer and the host request (necessarily have to go to the DNS to resolve domain name)

I am thinking that maybe there is some way to meet these DNS why the title of the post in place "to show DNS linux commands if possible" as the dns find in any other way than I used to command .

May not be aware of this issue but we share my doubts whether to see out of my ignorance.

A greeting.
Old 25-02-2009

When configured manually editing configuration files, the DNS in/etc/resolv.conf

I looked in my system, which automatically connects the wireless network by choosing your ESSID, and I see that the file/etc/resolv.conf is dated today, namely that it could be that auto create every time I connect to the wifi network, putting the system in the correct DNS file.

If that were the case, you would just look at the contents of/etc/ resolv.conf while you were offline.

If not, then you could also try using the dig at a terminal, leaving lots of information, almost all down the line can be seen;; SERVER: tu_DNS
You can try using the terminal:
dig | grep "SERVER"

If anyone can compare it to the self resolv.conf post it here for future questions about the same.

TechArena Community > Technology > Technology & Internet
Tags: ,