Thread: Hotmail: Microsoft would work well on access via POP3

Hotmail: Microsoft would work well on access via POP3

A rumor ran very interesting for a while about a future free POP3 access to Hotmail, the e-mail service from Microsoft. While its competitors have long POP and IMAP access to all customers consistent, Hotmail does not offer IMAP, and access to the service via POP is paid

As a result, many wondered if the rumor was true, because outside manage Hotmail Windows Live Mail or Outlook is a little hard. " Microsoft uses the DeltaSync to give customers the violins compatible, but many would like to manage their letters as they wish and not as Microsoft has decided.

On the Windows Live Help site, dedicated to questions from users, the question of the rumor was raised and received a reply from a Microsoft employee confirmed that a free POP3 access was underway. However, no date was given for the actual arrival of this new service.

The arrival of the POP3 protocol to Hotmail would be accessible from any kind of software, including Thunderbird. As against, unlike the current access, the connection POP downloads the messages from the server and thus moves to the machine. Once recovered, the letters are no longer on the server.

Re: Hotmail: Microsoft would work well on access via POP3

A user named cebcubs, asked this question Microsoft forum

cebcubs,
    Will any of Hotmail Plus features be available for free in 2009?
    I read online that a few of the features of Hotmail Plus (namely, POP3 feature) will be available in early 2009. Does anyone know for sure if this statement is true?
    To which Windows Live Isabel M

News does travel fast.
    Yes, cebcubs, there is a plan on releasing POP3 to free Hotmail account users. However, we still do not have a definite date on when this will happen. We'll keep everyone posted once the feature becomes available.
    another user asked

Warrio4
    That's great!

And are you planning to allow the automatic forward in a standard hotmail account to any email address? And not only to Microsoft addresses.

Thanks in advance for your answer
    To which Windows Live Isabel M replied

Thank you for that enthusiasm, Warrio4! To standard POP3 / free Hotmail account would be a great help to many users.

About the automatic forwarding, there's no news yet. I've forwarded your inquiry about this feature to our product team. This can be another great addition to standard / free Hotmail accounts.

It may very well leave the messages on the server and make a copy locally, with POP3. Just remember to check the appropriate box

personally I think that is more secure as it is today. Nothing can be found on our hard drive, various spam deleted directly on the server. Then a gain space on our record, when the organization can not have everything

You can access their mail with thunderbird for hotmail ... there's a lot of tutorial on the internet and it works very well ....

The most terrible is that people believe they can only use addresses Hotmail or Live to connect to WLM. Without it, Hotmail would be long forgotten so it is lagging behind the competition.

Quote Originally Posted by Keith.J View Post
    personally I think that is more secure as it is today. Nothing can be found on our hard drive, various spam deleted directly on the server. Then a gain space on our record, when the organization can not have everything
    From a philosophical point of view, your mails "private" have nothing to do on a third (they already passing mostly clear). You trust him with your admin hotmail? Internet P2P is focused, everyone should also have its own SMTP server and make backups of BAL home. While I fully understand the need for centralized access of mails (I also used for convenience). Basically, the fiber strongly that I can access my machine anywhere in the world (with a symmetrical speed correct), and secured by me in passing.

But that was the case before. So many people have a normal email address and an e-mail address that serves only to have a WLM. (And after explaining to people that no, this is not your primary address, because although you are on MSN, you do not want to t'infliger using Hotmail, it's always a mess. ..)

You can always make an account with a real email address, but hey, it's a bit too heavy

Hotmail: Free confirmed POP3, IMAP on the horizon

Rumors circulated for several days now the news is confirmed: the team of Windows Live Mail is in the process of updating user accounts allowing them access to the POP3 protocol connection.

Neowin magazine reports an interview with Ryan Gavin and Dharmesh Mehta, the directors of the branch Windows Live with Microsoft. Questioned about this, their answer is very clear: yes, we are working on adding POP access on the Windows Live Hotmail accounts. As you know we Hotmail updated frequently, and we hope to finalize it in the coming months. "

For its part, Liveside met with Omar Shahine, in charge of Hotmail. This explains: "For the user this means that if he wants access data on the client's choice, either quelqu'il we offer them the opportunity. Of course, in regard to access to data, we also offer a much richer protocol [Editor's note: DeltaSync] and we will continue to encourage its use. " In addition, Omar Shahine confirm that in future the team will focus on IMAP.

Several users in France, but also in Canada, Australia, Japan or Italy and Germany have also confirmed the setting up POP access to their account.