Thread: Issues configuring ADSL connection For Ubuntu

Issues configuring ADSL connection For Ubuntu

Few days back i installed Ubuntu 8.10 on my computer, installation had no problem. But when i rebooted my computerand started my ADSL Configuration, my operating system failed to detect it.
    I even tried "pppoeconf", but no use. Later on i manually created a DSL connection in network manager providing username and pwd. On second tab, the mac address field is empty. So do i need to give my NIC's mac id or the router interfaces' one. But it din't probe for one....

Can i go for the manual setup of DHCP? anything else that needs to be configured.

Thanks in advance.

Re: Issues configuring ADSL connection For Ubuntu

It's not absolutely necessary for you to provide MAC address during configuration just check your ip address in terminal and check if it is the correct one or not.

And please do check whether it is possible for you to configure your modem in bridge mode.

Can you state exactly what happens when you try to configure your connection with pppoeconf.

Thanks for the quick reply. I came out of the first issue but found another one, when I set IP address manually through Network Configuration utility and try to save, Ubuntu tells me that that its read only configuration and I wont be able to update it.
    I even can't delete the Network Configuration. My knowledge of Ubuntu user credentials is quite less. I found it strange that root user password is not asked during installation. You append sudo to every command and i guess it should work the way it should work for root.

As the time progresses i will surely learn it, but on my priority list I need to set my Ubuntu to detect my NIC and net connection.

Thanks a lot guys I got internet on Ubuntu working.
    I did the following:

• To get around the readonly error while changing configuration in network manager i commented the iface eth0 line in ... /etc/network/interfaces..by just putting a # at the beginning of line. Actually this is a bug and is tracked at launchpad (Ubuntu's bug tracking tool. Bug no. 279262).
    • Configure eth0 by manually assigning IP. You can do this through Network Manager or through interfaces file. Check out this sample interfaces file.

4. iface eth0 inet static
    5. address 192.168.1.2
    6. netmask 255.255.255.0
    7. gateway 192.168.1.1

192.168.1.1 is my router ip.
    run '/etc/init.d/networking restart'. This should ideally work, but i had to reboot my machine to get eth0 working.

• Check by pinging to router 'ping -c5 192.168.1.1'

• Run "sudo pppoeconf"

You can also intrepid Ubuntu with many other application.