Become a Member!
Forgot your username/password?
Register Tags Active Topics RSS Search Mark Forums Read

Sponsored Links

XP Slow Internet Speeds

Technology & Internet

Old 02-01-2009

XP Slow Internet Speeds

Hey recently I bought a computer in which Window Vista was installed. But then I set it up to dual process with Windows XP. I get 1000 kbps network connection in Window Vista, where in i only get 200 kbps in Windows XP. I tried running several Spyware scanners and virus scanner to disabled every running process, but yet it remain much slower as compare to Vista.Does anyone have any idea about this problem?

Thanks.

Old 02-01-2009

Re: XP Slow Internet Speeds

Hey Dhruv welcome to the forum. Can you tell me the connection speeds that you have mention are real or while downloading you get that speed. Or it is the potential speeds measured by a web-based speed meter? The reason behind asking for this was, web-based meters often tell you little about the real speeds.You only get to know about it, actually when you are viewing the web-page or while downloading.

If you want there are number of simple real time speed monitors such as NetMeter which are available on Softpedia i.e.http://www.softpedia.com/get/Network...NetMeter.shtml which allows you everyday to monitor your connection speeds.If you surf you will find more sophisticated real time meters available on the net.
Old 02-01-2009

Suppose if I use the same speed test, will i be able to get those numbers. When i download a file usually in XP it download rate comes to 25 KB/S while the same file when i download in Vista it download rate comes to 160 KB/S. I also have a laptop in which window xp is been installed and i get the same network speeds as compare to Vista.
Old 02-01-2009

You might not have the best driver for your network card or it may be due to broadband modem on XP?
Old 02-01-2009

May be the reason behind this would be IPv6 protocol that vista uses. You can install IPv6 on your XP. This is the link from where you would easily install IPv6 protocol on your window XP.

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/net...6/ipv6faq.mspx
Old 02-01-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dhruv View Post
When i download a file usually in XP it download rate comes to 25 KB/S while the same file when i download in Vista it download rate comes to 160 KB/S. I also have a laptop in which window xp is been installed and i get the same network speeds as compare to Vista.

Interestingly you get 13 & 16 percent of maximum speed in each case. It's better to contact your ISP for help, if the above solution does not work in your favour.

TechArena Community > Technology > Technology & Internet
Tags: